Valbazen??

Help Support CattleToday:

Petercoates87

Reaction score
So I have a heifer that is off. I had the vet in. She thinks its pneumonia but has told me to give her valbazen as well. She isnt our favorite vet but it was a weekend call and she was on call. So the vet gave her nuflow I think it was and told me to give her valbazen, I did. She never said if I could give her another dose. Can ya give a second dose? And how long after the first?

kenny thomas said:
Are your talking about giving Valbazen again? Valbazen is a wormer so you shouldn't need to give it again for several months.

Actually, for lung worm, giving Valbazen twice, drench two weeks apart is recommended....

Sounds like the vet administered Nuflor for respritory issues, and advised deworming for lung worms. I would have a fecal done. If one has lung worm, most of yours probably do. Easy way to tell (aside from a fecal, of course) is check their muzzles. Lung worm will cause them to drip clear mucus almost constantly (think human with simple head cold). The reason for a "booster" deworming is to break the life cycle on the lung worm. Worm them one time, and they keep shedding the mucus on the pasture for several days. Then, just about when the dewormer gets them cleaned out, they graze an infected area again and get re-infested.... Not a huge likely hood of re-infestation in NW WI this time of year, but there may be where you are....

Valbazen is also great for tape worms. Most dewormers do not get them. I hit all my calves with Valbazen - they are the most susceptable for tapeworm.
Edit: I knew it was good for lung worms but didn't know it should be given 2 weeks later. Thanks for info.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Valbazen is also great for tape worms. Most dewormers do not get them. I hit all my calves with Valbazen - they are the most susceptable for tapeworm.
Edit: I knew it was good for lung worms but didn't know it should be given 2 weeks later. Thanks for info.
Proper use of de-wormers is something we have learned the hard way with goats. Boers are notorious for poor parasite resistance. As a result, we have learned to cull lower resistance lines and be more wise in our application of de-wormers. For us, that means only de-worming those that need it, when they need, and doing so aggressively and with a 2 week booster. We use 3 different classes of de-wormer (preferably drench or inject), but only use what is needed, not rotating for the sake of rotating....

Boot Jack Bulls said:
Stocker Steve said:
Boot Jack Bulls" Actually said:
How common is this?

As far as incidence? More than most people would expect I think. Watch for consistently wet noses on hard do-ers, with no other real obvious symptoms...

I always heard about lungworm in connection with sheep.
I assume pour on kills them too?

Stocker Steve said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
Stocker Steve said:
Boot Jack Bulls" Actually said:
How common is this?

As far as incidence? More than most people would expect I think. Watch for consistently wet noses on hard do-ers, with no other real obvious symptoms...

I always heard about lungworm in connection with sheep.
I assume pour on kills them too?

I believe Ivermectin class is labeled for lung worm? I just prefer to not use pour-ons in general. We have found in goats that pour-ons are highly ineffective. If I'm spending the money to worm a 2500 pound bull, I figure I might as well use a drench and get the job done the whole way....

Perfect guys thanks much. I'll have a look at everyone tonight. Now how much per lbs to give this?
Also I've notice her manure getting better. When I gave her the first dose I noticed she has horse like manure and now after 4 or 5 days I've noticed her manure improving.

I do not know what that is, or drugs you have, but lung infections need a course of appropriate antibiotics..

What is off, what signs are being shown....treat for the wrong things and your wasting time, money, and adding stress.

I would want to know exactly what was given, why etc and what to do next, vets must hate me, I do not care, I never accept take these and go and rest for myself, so not going to for stock :)

greggy said:
I do not know what that is, or drugs you have, but lung infections need a course of appropriate antibiotics..

What is off, what signs are being shown....treat for the wrong things and your wasting time, money, and adding stress.

I would want to know exactly what was given, why etc and what to do next, vets must hate me, I do not care, I never accept take these and go and rest for myself, so not going to for stock :)
If it is an infection, rather than infestation, the Nuflor already administered SHOULD work.

Boot Jack Bulls said:
Proper use of de-wormers is something we have learned the hard way with goats. Boers are notorious for poor parasite resistance. As a result, we have learned to cull lower resistance lines and be more wise in our application of de-wormers. For us, that means only de-worming those that need it, when they need, and doing so aggressively and with a 2 week booster. We use 3 different classes of de-wormer (preferably drench or inject), but only use what is needed, not rotating for the sake of rotating....

Boers are great at jumping things too....like fences :) Or climbing on your car, truck or SUV if they can get to it...

I am interested in what you say here though..

Drench is something used for worms here, but it applies across the many use methods, are you referring to Oral or Injectable though ?

Pour on should not be a prob, the one I used for cattle soaks into the skin real quick, I think you can get it as oral and injectable too, but pour on was pretty easy, although I have no issues with oral with anything that can go through a goat race..I am not convinced one or the other way is better, assuming, they all get the reqd dose ?

Boot Jack Bulls said:
greggy said:

If it is an infection, rather than infestation, the Nuflor already administered SHOULD work.

That is probably true, I only posted as I do not like the shotgun approach, if there is a worm problem, do appropriate worm treatment, if it is a lung infection, do appropriate course of drugs, I would not like any vet to say...well, I think it is this, but here is the medicine cabinet, hit it with everything just in case, or, cause I am not sure. Vet prob did not do this, but that is where I was coming from.

PS Kenny and you hit the nail on the head at start of thread, if worming is needed, do as reqd, I was thinking it was the lung infection that was being asked about, but even with that, vet should have spelt stuff out, or, been asked to spell stuff out, cause a lot of people are not clear, with cattle or say cars... :)

greggy said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:

Boers are great at jumping things too....like fences :) Or climbing on your car, truck or SUV if they can get to it...

I am interested in what you say here though..

Drench is something used for worms here, but it applies across the many use methods, are you referring to Oral or Injectable though ?

Pour on should not be a prob, the one I used for cattle soaks into the skin real quick, I think you can get it as oral and injectable too, but pour on was pretty easy, although I have no issues with oral with anything that can go through a goat race..I am not convinced one or the other way is better, assuming, they all get the reqd dose ?

We honestly have never had an issue keeping our goats in their pastures/pens or with them jumping on stuff. Having said that, because we started out running them in tandem with our beef cattle, the fences all had hot wires that were pulse-less and HOT!

Drench in our area means given orally.

Our results with pour-ons are not a result of poor absorption. More of a problem with effectiveness. We have actually tested Ivermec pour-on, on confirmed cases of lung worm. Given properly and as directed. It did not eliminate the lung worms. Same animals were then treated with a Valbazen drench, twice (two weeks apart) and the problem was almost completely eliminated. Ours (cattle, horses, goats or dogs) actually cross a certified scale before they are administered ANYTHING. I think pour-ons have their place, but if you have the facilities and time, I would always recommend a drench or injection instead.

Boot Jack bulls, I totally understand what you are saying about lung worms. Usually not a problem in cattle here. I also agree with the use of drench or injectable instead of pour on.

Dang...I was just sold pour on for my calves......I can easily admin orally....everyone seems to use pour on here, that is mostly what is available....

What are the best group for cattle, growing calves to be exact, a single say mectin, or you need combos....can start a new thread, or maybe I can find one, not brands, but actives.

Vets can only guess. Lung worms lead to lung infections. I am going to "assume" the vet was able to determine the animal had lung infection - and - possibly by the condition of the animal - vet was suspicious of lung worms. Appropriate action.

White wormers are short lived for most worms in cattle. They are more of a flush than the ivermectins. Our vet recommends a second dose of drench/white wormers about 25-26d after first dose. It is a bit of a pain, but I think it works well for us. We drench the cows and calves 2X in spring, and then on the second dose, we also use an injectable ivermectin on the calves only to give a little longer treatment. Works well.

Latest posts