Safegaurd or Valbazen drench

Help Support CattleToday:

polledbull

Reaction score
I think it is time for me to switch wormers , I have used injectable now for several years, give me some opinions , Do I go with Safegaurd or Valbazen, I know to watch out for pregnant cows with the valbazen in the first 60 days . thanks guys :cboy:

We always use Valbazen drench in the spring for the cows, bulls, replacements and calves.

Can someone tell me why it is recommended not to use the first 45 days of pregnancy? We worm our show heifers every 30 days from spring to fall with it, and have not had any issues. They all get bred during this time, AI, so I have not seen any effects. This was recommended to us by other big breeders that show... That is why we started. Never knew about the disclaimer until I read it here.... Just wondering

Fire Sweep Ranch":1k4lzlz9 said:
Can someone tell me why it is recommended not to use the first 45 days of pregnancy? We worm our show heifers every 30 days from spring to fall with it, and have not had any issues. They all get bred during this time, AI, so I have not seen any effects. This was recommended to us by other big breeders that show... That is why we started. Never knew about the disclaimer until I read it here.... Just wondering
My vet said it has not been tested on pregnant cows for safety. They don't know what it will do to the fetus.

branguscowgirl":2k670tj6 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2k670tj6 said:
My vet said it has not been tested on pregnant cows for safety. They don't know what it will do to the fetus.
Green Eyes, what about ivermectin? Do you know if that has been tested?

We've been drenching the whole herd with Synanthic around July 4 & the calves again around Labor day. We use injectable Ivermectin or Cydectin spring & fall to hit the lice along with worms. We used pour-on for more than a decade and I think we had a worm problem built up in the pastures. We're still seeing a response to our current worming routine, we'll keep it up until we don't see such a positive response.

inyati13":2ml74wyf said:
branguscowgirl":2ml74wyf said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2ml74wyf said:
Green Eyes, what about ivermectin? Do you know if that has been tested?
Yes Ivermectin has tested safe. I have given it during all stages of pregnancy.

We drenched one of my pregnant cows by accident with Valbazen this past fall. She slipped the calf. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but I won't give Valbazen during pregnancy again. :bang:

Fire Sweep Ranch":2b4v48o4 said:

Albendazole (Valbazen) is a known teratogen, causing birth defects in early pregnancy. Once the embryo is past it's initial development stage it has no effect.

Chris H":1e9s64lr said:
We've been drenching the whole herd with Synanthic around July 4 & the calves again around Labor day. We use injectable Ivermectin or Cydectin spring & fall to hit the lice along with worms. We used pour-on for more than a decade and I think we had a worm problem built up in the pastures. We're still seeing a response to our current worming routine, we'll keep it up until we don't see such a positive response.

I do too. I drench with Synanthic and Inject with Ivomec (Ivermectin). I operate very much as an opportunist. If a calf walks into the handling facility, I will put him up and drench him if I think he would benefit. I do a lot of my handling by opportunity. Unless, it is an MLV vaccine that must be used in a very short time, it is easy do mangae on an opportunity basis on a small group of cattle.

Latest posts