Vaginal prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer":1digcjpi said:
The second girl has calved two days ago. Had 104lbs bull calf, 277days gestation. It'll be very hard to cull her. She's such a sweet girl.
That's a pretty big calf. It is always hard to cull your favorites, I had to do it just a week ago. However, you have to keep the best animals in your herd, and cows with prolapses have a hard time staying in our herd. Glad to hear you got a calf out of her.

One of my cows has just been developing a prolapse as well.. there hasn't been a single trace of it through her entire maternal family, which makes it a bit of a surprise... She's got about a week to go still too.

Nesikep":320dsq5t said:
One of my cows has just been developing a prolapse as well.. there hasn't been a single trace of it through her entire maternal family, which makes it a bit of a surprise... She's got about a week to go still too.
She probably got that from the sire. Our both cows got that from the sire. If only she left one week she should be fine. Our first cow had left one month until calving and the 2nd girl ~two weeks.

MRRherefords":3edbe1yj said:
lithuanian farmer":3edbe1yj said:
The second girl has calved two days ago. Had 104lbs bull calf, 277days gestation. It'll be very hard to cull her. She's such a sweet girl.
That's a pretty big calf. It is always hard to cull your favorites, I had to do it just a week ago. However, you have to keep the best animals in your herd, and cows with prolapses have a hard time staying in our herd. Glad to hear you got a calf out of her.
That's the first prolapses in the herd for us. Not a nicest thing. Always thought what gonna find when went to check the herd. It won't be hard to cull the 1st cow. She looks the best from the herd, but calves are average, so it'll be for the best. However, the 2nd girl is a small plain looking cow with a tiny udder, but does her job well. Also she has calved at 15 months age so has quite a special story. Have two her daughters. One is due in april with 2nd calf, another is due in august-september with her 1st calf. Both very friendly girls. 1st calver did a great job raising her 1st calf-heifer and that one is a real sweety too. Well atleast her line won't disapear so easily.

lithuanian farmer":bpkx8e6d said:
Nesikep":bpkx8e6d said:
She probably got that from the sire. Our both cows got that from the sire. If only she left one week she should be fine. Our first cow had left one month until calving and the 2nd girl ~two weeks.
I can't speak much for the sire, but his daughters have never before had a problem.. Kama is 5 years old, and really big and floppy this year, but hasn't really bagged up yet.. I'm wondering if she's going to have twins (Her full sister did this year)

Nesikep":2dd6vvlb said:
I can't speak much for the sire, but his daughters have never before had a problem.. Kama is 5 years old, and really big and floppy this year, but hasn't really bagged up yet.. I'm wondering if she's going to have twins (Her full sister did this year)
We've a dam of the first cow, which is 14 years old and no such problems. The second cow got that from the 1st one's son.
You never know with twins. There was time when I thought that cow might have twins and she had, but for example, last year one pretty slim cow had twins, ~70lbs each calf. Last weekend one cow calved which had a huge belly, but only one normal size calf. You never know.

Nope, my twin prediction success rate is terribly low!
I had one BIIIG cow have twin 110 lb bull calves.. one was breech and didn't make it though.. she wasn't particularly round either

An update on the 1st cow.
Hoped that she'll be fine after calving, however she has the same problem. It looked fine for a couple days, but now it's already one month after calving and that "ball" comes out as much as before and for the last 2 days it needs a slight push for it to come in. Going to put a couple stitches for her. Will keep her for two more months and will send her away. Hopefully her calf will start nursing other cows. If not, will need to grow her by ourselves.

thats not good.. though she may get better enough to keep until the calf is grown... though she may push it out again if she gets bred (happened to one of my cows last year)

lithuanian farmer":2skzvitk said:
An update on the 1st cow.
Hoped that she'll be fine after calving, however she has the same problem. It looked fine for a couple days, but now it's already one month after calving and that "ball" comes out as much as before and for the last 2 days it needs a slight push for it to come in. Going to put a couple stitches for her. Will keep her for two more months and will send her away. Hopefully her calf will start nursing other cows. If not, will need to grow her by ourselves.
As I said previously that "ball" looked more like a vaginal cyst to me. Put your hand in and feel for it, if it is a big firm ball you might be able to give it a good slash with a scalpel and drain it. They are not that big a deal.

Ken

Latest posts