Vaginal Prolapse? Opinions please. Picture added

Help Support CattleToday:

John in WI

Reaction score
Came home today to find a 5 year old cow (Simmental) lounging on the haypile, with what looked like a sock hanging out of her backside. The end of the sock was redish/pink. She's due with her third calf in 30 days. I made a quick call to her seller, who is also my 'mentor'. He told me it happens in some cows when they lay in a certain position and not to worry about it. I called the vet and he told me it sounds like the beginnings of, or is, a vaginal prolapse. It may fix itself, or if it worsens the vet may have to sew her up and I would need to watch her for signs of birth and then cut the stitches (which would be hard because I'm gone 12 hours of the day.)
Her first two calvings were supposedly unassisted with no problems.
I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this situation and what opinions you may have on it.

Thanks,
John

John in WI":3hvvdlof said:
Came home today to find a 5 year old cow (Simmental) lounging on the haypile, with what looked like a sock hanging out of her backside. The end of the sock was redish/pink. She's due with her third calf in 30 days. I made a quick call to her seller, who is also my 'mentor'. He told me it happens in some cows when they lay in a certain position and not to worry about it. I called the vet and he told me it sounds like the beginnings of, or is, a vaginal prolapse. It may fix itself, or if it worsens the vet may have to sew her up and I would need to watch her for signs of birth and then cut the stitches (which would be hard because I'm gone 12 hours of the day.)
Her first two calvings were supposedly unassisted with no problems.
I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this situation and what opinions you may have on it.

Thanks,
John
you did right in calling your vet.an right now all you can do is watch her.to make sure when she calves it dont become a uterin prolapse.those are buggers to shove back in an sew up.look at it when she is standing.it could be she is just swelling getting ready to calve.

if it goes back in when she stands you can wait. if it stays out or she begins to strain when laying down you will have to have it sewn up. my recommendation is to ship her after she calves it will only get worse next time. had one that did the same and i lost the calf because i couldn't get the stitches in time, another i noticed before it got that bad and both are gone.

John in WI":30hq6zv0 said:
I made a quick call to her seller, who is also my 'mentor'. He told me it happens in some cows when they lay in a certain position and not to worry about it.
and what opinions you may have on it.

Thanks,
John

FIRST you need a NEW mentor!!!!!!!!

Now if you can wash it off REAL good with house salt water put a few antibiotic tabs in her and sew her up it might work out to were you can get her to the sale barn in time to get a bit of $$ for her meat. If you hope to wait only 20 days or less then think you can have a live calf and a cow that does not prolapse again good luck.

How big was it and did it go back in?

We've got one in the lot now that we're watching close. Had a grapefruit sized prolapse about two months ago that went in on it's own. 4yo herf. Blew out a cantalope sized one this past week, wife sewed her up, only reason we didn't ship her is she is real close. I guessed she would calve today but it still looks like another couple days. Never kept one that prolapsed before, and she won't be the first.

cfpinz

If it's small, she should be ok, but you need to watch her close.

Take her to town as soon as possible, it will get real bad if you try to get another calf out of her.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Sizewize, it looks like a black tube about 6 to 8 inches long. At the end of it, it was reddish pink and looked like a tennis ball was ready to fall out. I could see it a hundred yards away. It does go back in when she gets up. She appears comfortable and is eating and drinking normally. I will continue to watch her closely and I have 3 vets on speed dial.
Regardless of the calving outcome, she's going to town this fall.

My son's 5 yro cow started doing both a vaginal and rectal prolapse. Had the vet out to sew her up. He wanted to know if we wanted to induse because he thought she might be about 10 days away. We are now watching her and she is going down the road this fall. We never keep them or their offspring. We tried it once before keeping the daughter of a prolapser and the daughter did the same thing.
Sometimes we would put them on a "diet" of grass,alfafa and ground barley. They would get two flakes of each and half a can of the grain, twice a day, but it didn't always work.
If they prolapse for a long time they will sunburn and/or wind burn the prolapse and then they will strain all the time.
If you don't have the time to watch her send her down the road.

I wouldn't worry too much about the vaginal prolaspe. It probably looks a lot worse than it is. I have only seen it in Brahman influenced cattle, beefmasters to be exact. The couple I have seen didn't have any problem calving. The vet told them that their heifer's prolaspe would improve when the heifers lost some weight. They did. Also, the cows, to my knowlege never experience an infection related to the prolaspe.

It does look like both vaginal and rectal.
Do they have to walk a long way for both feed and water?
If it keeps going back in by it's self leave it alone, but when it no longer does have the vet come put in a purse string and watch her.

Latest posts