Vaginal prolapse discussion

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
In 2002 & 2003 we had about a third of our heifers have vaginal prolapses BEFORE calving. All from a particular bull. The symptoms started up to a month before calving, swollen vulva, and then vaginal bulging. We culled every one that prolapsed and their calves. Never had another problem even if we had a full sister. If they were good the first time, they were always good and their offspring were good.

Fast forward to last year and this year. New bull again, culled after 2nd breeding season for sub-par breeding percentage. About a quarter of his 2 year old daughters are having vaginal prolapses the day AFTER calving. Doc says these prolapses are due to a weak vaginal wall that gets damaged during birthing. Unlike the first group 13 years ago, this group has no external indications of impending prolapses. They calve, get up, and look good. The next day they are prolapsing. We tried to have doc sew up a few last year, that didn't work. So the 2 this year got shipped ASAP. Sold the bottle calves with advice not to breed. The calves are not big, we haven't pulled a calf this year.

So far, the three year olds calved with no problem, but do you think prolapsing might be an issue with this set of females throughout their lifetime? I thought there were only uterine prolapses and vaginal prolapses; but this experience shows there appears to be more than one cause for vaginal prolapses. Anyone else have experience with this?

I have heard different stories from different vets. Some have told me prolapse can happen from stretching of tissue during a difficult birth and also more prevalent in white face cattle. Others say it's hereditary. Others say once a vaginal prolapse happens it most likely will reoccur. My own experience is prolapse is not confined to a certain breed or color of cattle. I've had it happen in red and black cattle, solid face and white face. As for re-occurrence of vaginal prolapse, up to now I always sold those cattle. But I am considering keeping a young cow that I really like that prolapsed before calving, was sewed up and had the calf no problem. I may give her one more try and if I do I will report the results here.

Conventional wisdom says that if the prolapse after calving they won;t necessarrily do it again. If they prolapse before calving they will do it again. That has been my experience too.

Latest posts