Vaccines required for a Feeder Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

WCBR1025

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a few steers I bought about 2 months ago, I gave them a tetanus shot when they were banded and they've been on good hay and supplemental feed since I received them. They weigh between 5-600lbs

My question is that I was planning on selling them at a feeder calf sale in March and they need the following vaccines as per the salebarns instruction:

"Vaccinations: Two doses of modified live respiratory vaccine (one with pasteurella) and two doses of blackleg vaccine (one with somnus). Dewormed with recognized wormer. Implants are optional."

What do I need to give them to achieve this before March or is too late to get started? I'm a bit of a vaccination newbie especially when it comes to this and all th vaccines are a bit overwhelming.

Thanks ,
WC

Most sales require a specific product so they can advertise the sale that way. One vaccine company (Berringer)sp even has a range ready program they sponsor where they will guarantee the health of the calf if their products and directions are followed. Check with the sale barn your gonna sell them at.

I think that you probably have enough time if the sale is later in March, but I would be looking into getting the first round of vaccinations asap. I have been selling calves in sales like that for a couple years, I usually go through a vet office for the medications. I would recommend taking the requirement list to a vet office and they will probably be familiar with those programs and can get you what's needed.
One of the sales we sell in requires receipts of purchased cattle, and receipts of vaccines and wormers.
They also require records of expiration dates and serial numbers of the vaccines and wormers.

WCBR1025":1ih69dic said:
Hello all,
I have a few steers I bought about 2 months ago, I gave them a tetanus shot when they were banded and they've been on good hay and supplemental feed since I received them. They weigh between 5-600lbs

My question is that I was planning on selling them at a feeder calf sale in March and they need the following vaccines as per the salebarns instruction:

"Vaccinations: Two doses of modified live respiratory vaccine (one with pasteurella) and two doses of blackleg vaccine (one with somnus). Dewormed with recognized wormer. Implants are optional."

What do I need to give them to achieve this before March or is too late to get started? I'm a bit of a vaccination newbie especially when it comes to this and all th vaccines are a bit overwhelming.

Thanks ,
WC

Very simple:

Bovi-Shield Gold One Shot
That includes your 5 MLV respiratory viruses plus Mannheimia (Pasteurella). Also known as: Pasteurella haemolytica; Mannheimia haemolytica. Mannheimia is the genus that has replaced Pasteurella.
25gdvdw.jpg

Ultrabac 7/Somubac 7 way
fm5o4.jpg

That includes the blackleg plus Somnus Bacterin.

Wormer is up to you.

Very simple:

Bovi-Shield Gold One Shot
That includes your 5 MLV respiratory viruses plus Mannheimia (Pasteurella). Also known as: Pasteurella haemolytica; Mannheimia haemolytica. Mannheimia is the genus that has replaced Pasteurella.
25gdvdw.jpg

Ultrabac 7/Somubac 7 way
fm5o4.jpg

That includes the blackleg plus Somnus Bacterin.

Wormer is up to you.[/quote]

So give them one shot of each now and one of each in 3-4 weeks?

The requirement is two doses of the MLV respiratory. Only one of Mannheimia (Pasteurella) .Use the one shot now with the Ultrabac 7/Somubac. In 4 to six weeks, give Bovi Shield Gold FP5 and second Ultrabac 7/Somubac 7 way.
ng9chz.jpg

Bright Raven":3vcfparv said:
The requirement is two doses of the MLV respiratory. Only one of Mannheimia (Pasteurella) .Use the one shot now with the Ultrabac 7/Somubac. In 4 to six weeks, give Bovi Shield Gold FP5 and second Ultrabac 7/Somubac 7 way.
ng9chz.jpg

Thanks for the information I'm much obliged to you!

WCBR1025":2lesnr8d said:
Bright Raven":2lesnr8d said:
ng9chz.jpg

Thanks for the information I'm much obliged to you!

It is my pleasure. I enjoy vaccination protocols.

Strong advice: read the instructions for using MLV Vaccines. They are sensitive. Even though you are selling these feeders, we all should be ethical in our practices.

Edited to add: Using the Greg Plumber's comment. Check to see if the vaccinations have to be vet certified. If so, you may not be approved to do them yourself.

Latest posts