Vaccine with blackleg, pinkeye, and tetanus?

Help Support CattleToday:

jasonleonard

Reaction score
I have been cutting some bulls to turn out for the summer and give them a worm shot along with three other vaccines because of tetanus issues. I wish I could combine some of these shots.
On the cutting bulls, I am using 20-20 vision7,covexin 8, and triangle5.

jasonleonard":d0l5i8tx said:
I have been cutting some bulls to turn out for the summer and give them a worm shot along with three other vaccines because of tetanus issues. I wish I could combine some of these shots.

Don't know what 20-20 is but why vision 7 & covexin 8 both ?

Cross, the covexin8 has tetanus protection. I dont think the vision 7 has tetanus. Guys that don't use a pinkeye vaccine have horrible trouble here in the summer.

cross_7":kdfjbi6i said:
jasonleonard":kdfjbi6i said:

Don't know what 20-20 is but why vision 7 & covexin 8 both ?
It's 20/20 Vision7--one vaccine.
http://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/ ... 21070.aspx

jasonleonard":em9j5lub said:
Cross, the covexin8 has tetanus protection. I dont think the vision 7 has tetanus. Guys that don't use a pinkeye vaccine have horrible trouble here in the summer.

why do you need tetanus ?
I mean since your cutting and not banding, have you had an issue before ?

jasonleonard":10g3o9ik said:

It would probably be cheaper to pick one of the blackleg vaccines and just give a pinkeye or tetanus by itself.

B&M Farms":17p8x8fd said:
jasonleonard":17p8x8fd said:

It would probably be cheaper to pick one of the blackleg vaccines and just give a pinkeye or tetanus by itself.

20/20 Vision 7 + give tet.= $2.53 x 2

covexin 8 + give pinkeye= $1.69 x 2

From Valley Vet pricing.

Giving too many vaccines at once compromise the immune response. The rule of thumb is one MLV and one Killed vaccine or two killed vaccines at the same time. Never two MLVs and never more than two of any kind at the same time, also don't vaccinate at times of stress like weaning, cutting or dehorning.

While tetanus in cattle is most frequently associated with banding - either young calves or sizeable bulls - the only case of tetanus I ever had in my own animals was in a 400 lb bull I knife-cut. So...cutting with a knife is not necessarily a guarantee that tetanus won't be a problem.

Knersie, recent investigations indicate that modified live viral vaccines - especially the BVD fraction - may block adequate immune response to bacterins administered at the same time.
So...I'll give a clostridial, pasteurella/mannheimia bacterin/toxoid with a mlv intranasal (IBR/PI3/BRSV), but not with the injectible containing mlv BVD.

Lucky_P":3q30rcp4 said:
While tetanus in cattle is most frequently associated with banding - either young calves or sizeable bulls - the only case of tetanus I ever had in my own animals was in a 400 lb bull I knife-cut. So...cutting with a knife is not necessarily a guarantee that tetanus won't be a problem.

Knersie, recent investigations indicate that modified live viral vaccines - especially the BVD fraction - may block adequate immune response to bacterins administered at the same time.
So...I'll give a clostridial, pasteurella/mannheimia bacterin/toxoid with a mlv intranasal (IBR/PI3/BRSV), but not with the injectible containing mlv BVD.

Thanks Lucky, good info!

Latest posts