Vaccine for Sale barn cows

Help Support CattleToday:

MoGal

Reaction score
Bought six cows last week (2nd and 3rd period). Normally on the cows I have I vaccinate yearly with Virashield 6 + L5, Covexin 8 and then deworm with pour on Ivermecterin. I usually deworm them in the spring and fall with pour on.

These cows I added e-coli vaccine.

My ?? is should I vaccinate for anything else? What do you all do with salebarn cows, anything different than your herd?

Thank you for your responses.

We don't buy sale barn cattle... However,

Quaranteen after getting to your place. Thoroughly wash out your trailer. Re-vaccinate & de-worm (I wouldn't trust other's info unless you have a health certificate & written medical record). Possibly de-worm again in 30-60 days or do a 5-Day treatment with Corid for possible coccidiosis. After they are out of quaranteen, empty their water tank & feed troughs and wash them out to air dry.

Finally, don't add to your problems by buying any calf that has not been weaned...5 to 7 months old... ;-)

Note: Sale barn cattle come from MANY different sources--some with good health programs and some from deplorable (or non-existent) health care programs. As always, is buyer beware and good luck!

Running Arrow Bill":2qyc1k8j said:
Finally, don't add to your problems by buying any calf that has not been weaned...5 to 7 months old... ;-)

I'm curious as to why buying truck weaned calves would 'add to your problems'? Granted - vigilance is required to avoid death due to illness, but the same thing can happen with 'home-grown' calves. I, personally, would not purchase a lot of calves and immediately throw them in with my raised calves either but, with the proper management, salebarn calves of this age can be successfully raised for a profit. Would you please clarify? Thanks!

Got a friend who buys/trades cattle all the time to make his living. Some come from sale barn and some come from local farms.

He hits them with Virashield 6, Super Poly Bac, injectable wormer, and a vitamin shot.

Calves sometimes he will hit with Nuflor. Generally he has good luck as he usually tries to buy good stuff at the barn and the herds he buys he culls them hard and sells the bads ones for slaughter.

We buy calves about 400lb and feed to 750lb, every calf gets:
TSV-2, Bovishield Gold 5, One Shot Ulta 7, Somubac shots. The TSV-2 shot is a must in my book as it has a much shorter time till effective. Our local vet got us set up this way, works great for us but check locally and see if there is any particular problems that need more special attention.

msscamp":1gjxyv21 said:
Running Arrow Bill":1gjxyv21 said:

I'm curious as to why buying truck weaned calves would 'add to your problems'? Granted - vigilance is required to avoid death due to illness, but the same thing can happen with 'home-grown' calves. I, personally, would not purchase a lot of calves and immediately throw them in with my raised calves either but, with the proper management, salebarn calves of this age can be successfully raised for a profit. Would you please clarify? Thanks!

Ok...to clarify ;-)

IMO based on many stories I've heard about a "baby" early weaned calf is always a risk. True, some are in excellent health; however, some are marginal...caveat emptor! Yes, you can realize a profit with proper purchases, care, and luck.

The only time we have bought a baby calf is when he/she was "at side" with his dam we bought, from a very reputable breeder...thus, no health problems.

Our program is "obsessive" with quality preventive health care (vaccination program, de-worming, quality hay & minerals, and pasture management). Thus, we've had no problems. We're also a TAHC TB Accredited and Brucellosis Certified disease free herd. We have never had any sickness, illness problems with any of our Longhorns, much less having to give "corrective" medications for those problems; and, have never lost a calf that was born and shortly after nursed.

Of course, everyone's goals and programs are different...

In a nutshell, ANY treatment of a calf (or adult) for sickness (whether do-it-yourself or from a Vet) costs $$ and subtracts from your bottom-line.

And, as you noted, quarantine of ANY new herd additions is most prudent to monitor the new arrivals for any problems (and correcting) before integrating into your existing herd.

Thank you all.

We bought 12 more yesterday and I will say the prices were so that we can make money. The cows are in 2nd and 3rd stage and one cow/calf pair. Prices were $345 to cow/calf pair was $630.00 .... so I think we did okay.

MoGal":1grselvs said:
Thank you all.

We bought 12 more yesterday and I will say the prices were so that we can make money. The cows are in 2nd and 3rd stage and one cow/calf pair. Prices were $345 to cow/calf pair was $630.00 .... so I think we did okay.

I guess I didn't do too bad with a 7 year old 2nd stage we sold last week that went for 700.

Yes Dun, we bought a 7 yr old red angus cow (granted she needs about a 100 lbs on her for my liking, she weighs 820 lbs) in 3rd stage for $385.00

MoGal":1g8kh0tg said:
Yes Dun, we bought a 7 yr old red angus cow (granted she needs about a 100 lbs on her for my liking, she weighs 820 lbs) in 3rd stage for $385.00

OK, I quit whining about someone stealing the one of ours.

dun

Latest posts