Vaccinations

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wondering. We are vaccinating everyone this weekend and Dad was told by a buddy of his that also raises beef that you should vaccinate in the hip. Can you do that? I remember reading somewhere that you should do it in the shoulder or neck. Where do y'all vaccinate your cattle at? I was off at college the last two years so I wasn't home when Dad did it previously and now that I'm home, I'm trying to make sure everything is done correctly. Thanks!!!

Definitely in the neck area......these cuts are of lower value therefore if there are any injection site blemishes the tissue that needs trimmed will be of lower value. do a search for beef quality assurance and many sites should tell you the same thing.

blackbaldiecowgirl":1ir707t5 said:
Hey everyone, just wondering. We are vaccinating everyone this weekend and Dad was told by a buddy of his that also raises beef that you should vaccinate in the hip. Can you do that? I remember reading somewhere that you should do it in the shoulder or neck. Where do y'all vaccinate your cattle at? I was off at college the last two years so I wasn't home when Dad did it previously and now that I'm home, I'm trying to make sure everything is done correctly. Thanks!!!

I always give shots subq in the fold of skin between the shoulder and the ribcage. Seems easier to give and since this is an active moving area not so prone to become sore or make a knot.

One of the SQ shots we give in the same place as TB. We do that cause when i worked at the feedlots helping with vaccinations the owner said he found that calves given the shot there used the bale ring more readily. Not so much pain in the neck with the feed bars. The rest in the neck, less damage to the good cuts of meat