V rake piles up hay

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I used a neighbor's v rake today. I don't own one, but I have used one before, and I'm considering buying one. The issue with his was that hay would often pile up on the rake. It was very annoying. It would be fine, and then in a split second, it would pile up. Is this usually something a low end rake does, or is it related to how the rake is adjusted? Are there certain brands that don't have this problem? The hay was really thick. Here is a pic in action of what it was doing.

Hay looks rank. And really thick. Looks too thick for the rake to me. May remove the center wheel and help a little. Might open up rake at the back as well as long as your baler can still cover the width of the wind row. Take a good baler to ball that up. Should yield well. But that's just from looking at the picture. I may be missing something.

Hay tall and not crimped? Looks like you have a wheel kicking the middle. Might help to get rid of that. Th3 rake I ran you could swing up the first wheel so you could rake less.

In thick, tall, uncrimped hay I've managed to make a pretty good size ball before I knew it.

That is the lowest capacity wheel rake available. Thick hay will bunch up no matter what you do.

For that a "hi capacity" rake with the wheels in front of the frame is best. At the least a "mid capacity" rake with the frame above the wheels would probably get the job done.

That looks like a cart mounted rake, and everyone I know that's had one has cussed it. I suppose they must have there place, because there plenty of them around. But I've heard of similar problems with them.

Thanks for the information. Could someone please post some pics of the higher and middle capacity rakes with wheels in front of frame and frame above wheels. Thanks.

herofan said:
Thanks for the information. Could someone please post some pics of the higher and middle capacity rakes with wheels in front of frame and frame above wheels. Thanks.

Something more like this would work better.
931a7d1da6b1438a8090805076e115aa_MD5_Explorer.jpg

herofan said:

These aren't images, but I think most of the newer v rakes made now are the higher capacity ones. I think the ones in the links below are the type rakes described. Most of the ones in my area are either Vermeer or Kuhn.

https://www.vermeer.com/em/rakes/vr1022

https://www.kuhn-usa.com/hay-forage/rakes/wheel-rakes/sr-100-gii-series

Too much hay!
Possibly too wet
If you can remove the 2 front wheels and take in less hay you will probly be fine. It is also possibly to open the rear up a little. But I'd try and take in less hay.

Baler is gonna have fun with that

I've got a 8 wheel three point vrake.
Breaks down in sections real easy and that's how we haul it on a utility trailer.....
I told yall that to tell you, if you put the wheels back on the wrong side, it'll ball up some hay..lol :dunce:

MurraysMutts said:
I thought the same thing, but the guy rolling it said it was no problem whatsoever, so If he's ok, I guess I am too.

Thanks to everyone for the I formation and pics!

I custom baled hay for about 30 years and whenever I pulled into a field that had bunches like your pic, the rake looked the same as in your pic as well. My first V-rake was an H&S high capacity rake and that is all I have used. It looks just like the pics that have been posted. Those bunches are a real pain to bale because they most likely start to roll under the tractor and that big bunch turns into a bigger pile that you have to back up and spread out because if you do get it to go under the tractor, it will most likely all feed in at once and plug your pickup unit.

I have a low capacity V rake that is a little heavier duty than the one shown. I don't rake 20' into one windrow if hay is that heavy. I also have a high capacity 5x6 baler that will eat slugs IF they are dry.

Most here either have poor hay, a high cart Vermeer 2 rubber wheel rake, or a big 4 rubber wheel rake.

Thought about buying a high cart rake so the wife and I could spend more time together... :cowboy:

Latest posts