Using Horses

Help Support CattleToday:

I tell people near me to cover their ear, cup my hand around my mouth and holler HERE GIRLS for the cows and HERE BOYS for the bulls. This usually works when they are out of sight, maybe as far as a 1/4 mile away. The only time they can't hear me is when the wind is blowing in my direction.

:lol: ;-)

"AAAAAAAOOOOOOOOO" and waiving a white stick in the air works for the cows. With the calves being weaned, "KIDS" gets them a running up.

dun

We cup our hands and "MOOOOO" to get them running up. They can hear us from quite a long distance away. It is embarrasing though to stand in your pasture and moooo when others are with you. They look at you like you lost your marbles.

A ranch up in the mountains was almost all brush and steep canyons down low. Once a week the owner would grind his way to the top of the ridge that was mostly clear and dump cubes. First gear, 4 wheel drive, took him about half an hour. He had a siren on the truck so when he got to the top he would turn it on to call the cows in. I never saw a single cow answer the siren. By the time he had gotten to the top, with the engine roar and tranny whine, all the cows would be standing at the feed bunks. Never could convince him that all the siren did was make noise and irritate whoever was with him.

dun

I tell people near me to cover their ear, cup my hand around my mouth and holler HERE GIRLS for the cows and HERE BOYS for the bulls. This usually works when they are out of sight, maybe as far as a 1/4 mile away. The only time they can't hear me is when the wind is blowing in my direction.

My Dad always used to yell something like COW BOSS and so I do the same thing. They come from half a mile when they hear me calling and they are always so excited to get on new grass. They jump and run. Its funny to watch. If I didn't know better I'd think they were jumping for joy :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sure our neighbors or anyone close get a real good laugh when we call ours. When the kids were little we started with mooo cooooowww. It just stuck & it works terrific. If we need a little more encouragement we bang a feed bucket too!

I don't actually call my cows verbatim. I have a big metal feed trough that sounds like a gong when you hit it. Gong it a couple of times and you'll have cows running. They do the same thing when the hear the John Deere coming down the road with another bale of hay.

JB

We could not possibly operate without horses here. The summer range that we put the cattle on is pretty rough country - steep grades, thick bush, drop-offs, and riverbreaks. Four wheelers just will not cut it when it comes to moving or gathering cattle in that country. Just finished gathering our four hundred two weekends ago and two hundred and fifty of the neighbour's last weekend on horseback (but talk about COLD saddleseats last weekend - brrr!).

We also use a team to chore on the colder days of winter - saves a lot of wear and tear on the tractor (and diesel fuel). Takes about the same amount of time and there's just something special about a good honest team crunching along through the snow with the cattle lined out behind you.

Take care.

:cboy: If I am moving my cattle very far my brahma crosses follow my horse well with an occasaional "here girl" thrown in. I have moved cattle for miles that way. I rotational graze some first year heifers and do it mostly on foot. I don't have a four wheeler on the place. I like peace and quiet and the country is just too rough for wheels. Always looking for an excuse to work horseback though. :heart: :cboy:

We call ours with a loud SSOOOOOOUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGG, I don't know if that is how it is spelled but at the top of my lungs they come running from anywhere on the place, as long as the wind is right.

Craig-TX":b00kk7xo said:
Yeah but that's a whole different thing than getting cattle to follow your horse for miles.

Craig-TX

Craig we are just the wrong type of Cattlemen for these young Cattlemen.
Haven't you heard about all the improvents in the Bramer crosses tame as housecats. The days of pulling a horse trailer up and every tail standing straight out as they disappear over the horizion are over you old dinosaur. Yea Right I could introduce some of the Cowboys to some old salt grass girls that would have every one singing a different tune. And they aint on thirty acres either.

I just holler "HAY!"
The other day I was trying to call them out of a big thicket.
I stood at the edge and was hollered "Hay...Hay...Hay!"
After a while a voice hollered back "WHAT?"

I forgot it was deer season...

We have found its much easier to lead them than to drive them.

Hillbilly

Craig and TB, I don't understand your why?. If its why move them miles it is because one pasture rotation is three miles down off the ridge,across the big creek and up the big hill to a mountaintop lease. :cboy:

Latest posts