Using a Limo on Brangus/Hereford heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

B&M Farms

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to by a really good Limo bull that looks great with great numbers. Thought about using him on some retained heifer out of a Herf bull and Brangus cows. What's everyone else's take on this cross?

Might be pretty good... I'm just using a Limo bull this year for the first time, so I will have better judgement about that next year... Ours will certainly put more frame on compared to the Gelbvieh we had before, but he's got meat and length to go with it, he's really friendly and laid back, and I hear they have good milk.

If the price is right, well, a good bull is a good bull!, You'll get heterosis if nothing else

B&M Farms":3fvh7fl8 said:
I have an opportunity to by a really good Limo bull that looks great with great numbers. Thought about using him on some retained heifer out of a Herf bull and Brangus cows. What's everyone else's take on this cross?

this is a textbook example of a perfect cross.

That would be an excellent cross! The only one that I can think of better would be to use a Gelbvieh bull :mrgreen:

Hoss, you're more of a Gelbvieh pimp than myself or 3waycross!

What color is your herd and what color is the bull? I don't think I'd want to mix colors, Limos do come in gold or black

HOSS":33tnakl2 said:
That would be an excellent cross! The only one that I can think of better would be to use a Gelbvieh bull :mrgreen:
what would be the main poits where gelbvieh outstand limo. in this cross

Don't think I have seen a Gelbvieh yet that will add more muscle than a limi. As for frame I have not seen much difference between the two breeds.

Our 2 year old limi bull is already taller than our gelbvieh was... Our limi bull's mother wasn't a huge cow, so I'll have to wait 265 days to see what the calves look like and compare. If this guy does anything close to what the GV did, I'm going to be a happy man though. And by no means am I saying that this bull is hatched-arsed either.

ANAZAZI":6vro21sx said:
B&M Farms":6vro21sx said:

this is a textbook example of a perfect cross.
Exactly :nod: you got a moma you can go a lot of directions with...

Having ran both types of bulls in the past on similar breeds of cattle I can offer this suggestion. If these calves are to be terminal it would be Limi.If retained it would be Gelbvieh. You will take a bit of a hit on the Gelbvieh cross steers cause they will be showing more leather than the Limi cross steers that will show no leather at all. Only way to not take a hit would be to market Gelb steers in winter, say around Feb. Buyers are not able to play their silly chickenshyt games that time of year and will give you top dollar on steers showing leather.

Red Bull Breeder":6djrng7b said:
jerry27150":6djrng7b said:
some buyers claim limo will not marble good

Some buyers know that Limousin are cheaper to feed. Not to mention they cut more retail product with less waste.

My limited experience with the marbling of a limo is that they marble on the inside of the cut without the need to be overly fat on the exterior of the carcass first... That is one reason why in the "old days" at stock shows, and before the days of ultrasound, limo's were thought to be hard to finish. They just didn't gain that outer covering of fat like some other breeds did, but were usually marbled just fine. If they did have the outer fat covering, it was because they were older/larger steers than what the judges were looking for....

B&M Farms":11wjq901 said:
Black Limo Bull and black baldy heifers Herf/Brangus cross.

If i had an entire herd of Super Baldies I would be a happy man! I love that cross or even a simmie cross on those heifers. Youll have to keep us posted.

Latest posts