Used swather recommendation

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am looking for an inexpensive self propelled 12' wide swather. There are quite a few of the chain drive JD 800s in the country but most of them are junk. There are also some hydrostatic OMC (Owatonna) 260s and 270s around but they go for about 3X the money. Any suggestions on a durable swather?

I'd stick with a major name brand just so you can get parts. I've got an old, old pull behind John Deere swather I use only for grain hay and straw as it has no conditioner. I can still get any part I need from Deere.

Maybe they are more popular in your area, but here you would never get parts for an Owatonna. Stick with a Hesston, New Holland or Deere.

Does it have to be self propelled?

There are a pile of decent used pull types out there and they are cheap like borscht.

Brand means nothing to me if used - whatever is in the best condition and best price - you have no warranties in most cases - just as long as there is some place within a couple hours for parts is what matters to me.

Buy two and have one for parts.

Good luck,

Bez>

We switched to a disc moco (pull) two years ago will never go back to a sickle again. Can cut twice as much hay in the same amount of time as old moco. It does take HP we pull with 120Hp. In alfalfa can run as fast as you can handle the ride. In Haygrazer 5 - 7 feet can go close to 7.5 mph with old moco maybe 3mph if lucky. Grass is where it shines used to have to run in lowest gear if any wire grass now you never worry. Smoothness of field makes the difference on how fast.

Get the pull type ones as there is nothing to them, so their probably the easiest thing on the place to fix. Also, agreeing with Bez, probably cheaper to buy than some used plows.[/quote]

Aaron":3g4rur1z said:
Get the pull type ones as there is nothing to them, so their probably the easiest thing on the place to fix. Also, agreeing with Bez, probably cheaper to buy than some used plows.
[/quote]

If you go with a mid pivot look the tongue over very well and make sure it has not been stressed to much. I have seen neighbors repolace them on an older Hesston. We had to on an early JD 1600. Mine was operator error. :mad: Also see how many skid plates it has on the bottom. The more the merrier.

Latest posts