Use sick leave for vacation

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43":2h991993 said:
How about a company that requires a drug test if you have any kind of an accident, for instance the job requires running cable through attics ,if the employee steps through the ceiling his supervisor has to take him to get a drug test asap. Any minor accident requires a drug test, with your supervisor.
Not a bad idea. Maybe they should make it mandatory if someone does something stupid. But I have zero tolerance for dopers, even "recreational" users.
The exception being actual medicinal use of MJ

cowboy43":dk5czqtf said:
How about a company that requires a drug test if you have any kind of an accident, for instance the job requires running cable through attics ,if the employee steps through the ceiling his supervisor has to take him to get a drug test asap. Any minor accident requires a drug test, with your supervisor.
I am all for random and mandatory drug testing. And testing as policy and procedure for most accidents is a necessary evil. Drug testing for stepping through the ceiling seems kind of silly and a waste of people's time. But I suppose its a litigious issue, so if you test one you need to test all.

If you own your own business you can make your own rules, but as has been said, I wouldn't work for anyone who required me to bring a Dr note in exchange for a sick day.

cowboy43":p0sli0yx said:

The company I worked for did.
We also radomly tested. Caught you, had the choice of rehab or fired the first time.
Second time fired period no exception's. If you were stupid enough to jeopardize a 100,000 dollar a year + job you didn't need to be there. It was a dangerous job and we didn't need people on drug's or with their mind somewhere else.
We paid a good salary for you to be at work not playing hooky or doing drug's that endangered other employee's and the community. We had up to a year sick leave and 8 week's vacation based on seniority.
You had six months sick leave the day you hired in off the street plus two week's vacation.
If you wanted to abuse it we were happy to find someone who wanted a good job with benifit's and retirement.
It wasn't just drug's . Diabetes took me out of the field due to having to go into environment's with fresh air.
Until you work in an environment that you were more likely to die than a Houston cop and have to be your brother's keeper. There is no room for the jerk-off's.
Put on a Scott Air pack and go in with a crew and pull a burnt up employee out with the hide hanging off of him.
Then have to go meet with his family and not tell them he is going to die because he was stupid today.
Ninety Nine percent of the dead men I hauled out violated a safety policy from drug's to having their head up their ass.
Edit in 35 years I rode out twice in ambulance due to having to go get an idiot.

angie":221kddmn said:
cowboy43":221kddmn said:
I am all for random and mandatory drug testing. And testing as policy and procedure for most accidents is a necessary evil. Drug testing for stepping through the ceiling seems kind of silly and a waste of people's time. But I suppose its a litigious issue, so if you test one you need to test all.

If you own your own business you can make your own rules, but as has been said, I wouldn't work for anyone who required me to bring a Dr note in exchange for a sick day.

It only cost you 20 buck's with our benifit package if you were not sick enough to go to the doctor on the companies dime you would have been fired.

Caustic Burno":86k8s366 said:
It only cost you 20 buck's with our benifit package if you were not sick enough to go to the doctor on the companies dime you would have been fired.

I just don't understand this. When I am sick enough to take a day off from work I am usually wishing I would just die to end the misery. And I am in no shape to be driving.

Could you get one after you have returned to work? Or would someone have to take another couple hours off of work so they could go get their note before they returned?

If my employer doesn't trust me and treats me like I'm in elementary school, then I don't want to work there.

If your ever in a accident and your drug free have all parties involved tested for drugs. That's one of the easiest ways to win a lawsuit.

ChrisB":3nzuma61 said:
Caustic Burno":3nzuma61 said:

I just don't understand this. When I am sick enough to take a day off from work I am usually wishing I would just die to end the misery. And I am in no shape to be driving.

Could you get one after you have returned to work? Or would someone have to take another couple hours off of work so they could go get their note before they returned?

If my employer doesn't trust me and treats me like I'm in elementary school, then I don't want to work there.

I had a lot of leeway with the company employee's Union it was strictly by the contract no exceptions.
Had a good supervisor his dad passed away I gave him a month off with pay didn't require him to use family leave or vacation. His family had some insinuating circumstances with the mother.
You had to have a Dr's excuse the first day of absence to be paid with the first day of sickness and return date.
Didn't matter if you were off one day or two month's. When you have 2,500 employees on site the 10% will ruin it for everyone.

Not everyone work's for small companies.

My husband lost thousands of dollars in sick time he had accumulated when the company he worked for folded last year.

It isn't right to cheat your employer and abuse your sick time benefits, but it doesn't seem right to have it all go *poof* into thin air because you manned up and came to work every day, either.

MO_cows":dm4ubd5q said:
My husband lost thousands of dollars in sick time he had accumulated when the company he worked for folded last year.

It isn't right to cheat your employer and abuse your sick time benefits, but it doesn't seem right to have it all go *poof* into thin air because you manned up and came to work every day, either.

How do you figure that as sick leave is a benifit provided by the company not something you contribute into.
No money was lost.
Totally different ballgame on retirement you contribute into.

Schools require a Dr note to be excused and not get 0 on your test or homework. Not saying its right but society has dictated these rules because of the gimmie mentality. It cost 20 bucks to go to the Dr with our co pay. No Dr excuse no pay .

ffamom":2rmeuj39 said:
Requiring a doctors note would force me to come in with flu and give it to everyone else. .

The best way to get rid of flu, is to give it to someone else. Works every time and I usually just pick someone I don't particularly care for. System admins and safety people were targets of opportunity.

Caustic Burno":sc97irmb said:
MO_cows":sc97irmb said:

How do you figure that as sick leave is a benifit provided by the company not something you contribute into.
No money was lost.

Always an exception. If you're speaking of the corporate world I agree with you, CB. If you work for a Texas municipality that is civil service you may be entitled pay for up to 120 days of unused sick leave when you terminate.

M5farm":3dibm5up said:
Schools require a Dr note to be excused and not get 0 on your test or homework. Not saying its right but society has dictated these rules because of the gimmie mentality. It cost 20 bucks to go to the Dr with our co pay. No Dr excuse no pay .
I graduated in 2009 and that was definitely not the case. You only needed a doctors note if you went over the 10 allotted days off during the school year. You couldn't just not show up, your parents had to call you in sick or you had to put vacation paperwork weeks prior.

I accumulated $26,000 worth of unused sick pay before the Corporation decided to stop that practice. Now it will sit there until i retire not drawing a penny of interest.
I could draw it now at the rate of 25% in any given quarter but there is a huge penalty for early withdrawal plus the 40% tax bite. It's easier to just let it sit.

slick4591":2132r9w1 said:
Caustic Burno":2132r9w1 said:
MO_cows":2132r9w1 said:

No money was lost.

Always an exception. If you're speaking of the corporate world I agree with you, CB. If you work for a Texas municipality that is civil service you may be entitled pay for up to 120 days of unused sick leave when you terminate.

I was in the Corporate world.

From my years in the corporate world, we had paid sick days. After three consecutive sick days a docotors release was required to return to work. After a week you went on "short term disability", full pay. They also had "long term disability" but I never knew of anyone that had to use it so I can't recall the exact terms. It was partial pay, I believe it was after a month of short term disability.

So I couldn't use sick time for vacation time without a doctors release. But I knew a few emps that would often be sick on a Friday and Monday. :roll: Their supervisors were aware of the habit also.

At termination sick pay was lost and it was never acumalated, just paid.

FarmGirl10":3qsk8izf said:
M5farm":3qsk8izf said:
I graduated in 2009 and that was definitely not the case. You only needed a doctors note if you went over the 10 allotted days off during the school year. You couldn't just not show up, your parents had to call you in sick or you had to put vacation paperwork weeks prior.

Excused sick day requirements vary from school district to school district. Our school district required a note from the doctor for an excused absence. If the student did not have a note, the absence was not excused. If the student had 10 unexcused absences, the student had to make up hours on Saturdays. The school wants it's money from the state.

Brute 23":1ejn0v22 said:
That is why I like being self-employed.... I make the policy. ;-)

I'm also self employed, thing I don't like about it;

No vacation pay
No sick leave
No personal days
No 9 to 5 and forget about things
No contributions into my 401k
I pay double social security
Employee problems are someonelses headaches
No more 40 hour work weeks
Less family time

While I like being self employed it can be a nightmare.

Yes the guy should have gotten fired, he's untrustworthy because he a liar and he cheated the company out of money.

I have hundreds of hours of sick leave accumulated. I have donated hundreds of hours to people who had serious health issues and ran their sick leave out. When I retire in a few years any of those hours which haven't been used are gone. I wont get any compensation for them. We have a policy of more than three days requires a doctors note. So I have flat out told the boss that I am going to take a day or two occasionally to use up some of that time. She said that was fine and called them mental health days. But even with my occasional day off the total on the books is still climbing.
I did jokingly tell her that when I get to my last year that I plan to be sick three days and work two days every week. She smiled and nodded her head. I think it was her way of telling me that that plan might not work out so well.

Latest posts