Use sick leave for vacation

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I am sure a lot of you have seen the news story of the grandfather who saved the toddlers on the beach in Australia, It turns out he is from Wales and went to Australia on vacation. The problems is he used sick leave instead of vacation time and the result is he got fired when his company saw the news story on tv. A poll is being done now and 52% says he should not have been fired 31% say he should be fired the rest don't give a poot. I say he should have been fired, as a retired supervisor there is nothing more that can ruin your day after you have set everyone's work schedule and someone calls in sick and leaves you short handed and with unfinished work at the end of the day especially when you are in the service business to take care of the customers. When 52% do not see anything wrong with this ,something is wrong with our work ethics, no wonder the jobs are being outsourced overseas. I had employees who wanted to take a full day to have his teeth cleaned, or one who would take off to go to a funeral at short notice, I would ask him who died , he would say I don't know his name just a friend of a friend, I could go on and on but now all I have to answer to is my cows and they don't give me no lip, if they do I sell their a-- .

Did he lie and say he was sick? Ir did he call in saying he was taking a sick day/personal day?
There's a difference

Around here you get sick time, personal time, vacation or comp time. Using your sick time other than being sick will get you fired in most places. You accrue other times to vacation or goof off.

When I had the restaurant I fired several for calling in sick and being seen out shopping or goofing off. If you needed off it was really easy to schedule with me because I had people wanting hours. This calling me at the last minute and leaving me shorthanded was not a good thing.

Get rid of him.
I'm self employed so it's a little different but in twelve years I've had a total of two days where either I or my hired replacement was late and I nearly lost a bunch of business both times and the time that it happened to me was absulutely beyond my control and I still lost a small amount of business and that's been going on for ten years now. Out of the dozen or so guys who work in my area, we've had ONE dairy on ONE day that didn't get covered and that customer said don't bother when he was called to say we would be late. I have zero patience with people that call in sick or take an unscheduled personal day. BS, when you have a job that needs to get done, you go do it. :nod: I can understand an hour in an afternoon on a slow day for something real important or a day off scheduled way in advance but otherwise, when it's time to work, it's time to work.

His home is in Merthyr Tydfil Wales his vacation was in Queensland Australia. I think a whole ocean separates the two, he took his whole family I believe it would be more than calling in one day sick, unless he is superman. Maybe my geography is wrong if it is let me know.

If had jobs that if there was such a thing as sick leave I would have been tempted to take it, but the only sickness was sick of the job and who I had to work with

cowboy43":2tum63ks said:
I am sure a lot of you have seen the news story of the grandfather who saved the toddlers on the beach in Australia, It turns out he is from Wales and went to Australia on vacation. The problems is he used sick leave instead of vacation time and the result is he got fired when his company saw the news story on tv. A poll is being done now and 52% says he should not have been fired 31% say he should be fired the rest don't give a poot. I say he should have been fired, as a retired supervisor there is nothing more that can ruin your day after you have set everyone's work schedule and someone calls in sick and leaves you short handed and with unfinished work at the end of the day especially when you are in the service business to take care of the customers. When 52% do not see anything wrong with this ,something is wrong with our work ethics, no wonder the jobs are being outsourced overseas. I had employees who wanted to take a full day to have his teeth cleaned, or one who would take off to go to a funeral at short notice, I would ask him who died , he would say I don't know his name just a friend of a friend, I could go on and on but now all I have to answer to is my cows and they don't give me no lip, if they do I sell their a-- .

If he called in on sick leave and took off on vacation I would have fired him on the spot.
Had a fellow call in one time for sick leave, when I went in the Credit Union he was there buying a new truck.
He got a sick look when I said hi. My dad went to work for the same company as I years earlier when there was no sick leave or medical. I remember some mighty lean times as a kid they were striking for sick leave and medical.
I walked picket for 5 1/2 months for dental benifit's. I didn't put up with sick leave abuse as a union steward.
The reason companies offer sick leave and vacation today it was paid for in blood sweat and tear's.
In my lifetime companies believed kill a horse buy another one kill a man hire another one.
When I went to management I had a zero tolerance policy for it.
The part that would have got him fired was the lie. I would give you a day off without pay if you were out of vacation,
if it was that important to be off.

My people call in sick they have to bring a Dr excuse . If they don't I change it to vacation time. If the time off is scheduled I will be flexible and allow a day or two of sick time to be used if they want. I get 10 sick days a year and might use 1 day.

tom4018":1f8vprs4 said:
Some companies call it PTO, paid time off. I think it depends on company policy.

Thats what my workers get and if they say there sick ok... vacation ok... personal business ok...

M5farm":2b8n2v8b said:
My people call in sick they have to bring a Dr excuse . If they don't I change it to vacation time. If the time off is scheduled I will be flexible and allow a day or two of sick time to be used if they want. I get 10 sick days a year and might use 1 day.

Requiring a doctor's excuse for one day seems extreme. Some people will feel forced to come to work sick, do they perform up to par or work safely when sick? I know some people abuse the system and makes it hard on the honest person.

tom4018":3fmndc6p said:
M5farm":3fmndc6p said:

Requiring a doctor's excuse for one day seems extreme. Some people will feel forced to come to work sick, do they perform up to par or work safely when sick? I know some people abuse the system and makes it hard on the honest person.

We started a program where you could take 2 day's off sick leave every six month's without a Dr.'s excuse sick leave went through the roof. This was being done by 10% of the employee's. At the end of the six month's returned to you had to have a Dr's excuse first day off to be paid. Amazing the people that were sick on friday and monday.

Caustic Burno":tkp07lb0 said:
tom4018":tkp07lb0 said:
M5farm":tkp07lb0 said:

We started a program where you could take 2 day's off sick leave every six month's without a Dr.'s excuse sick leave went through the roof. This was being done by 10% of the employee's. At the end of the six month's returned to you had to have a Dr's excuse first day off to be paid. Amazing the people that were sick on friday and monday.
I agree some people abuse it, I worked for years and never had sick leave. Had it for the last 11 years or so, if I used it I was sick, having tests or taking a family member to the doc all within company policy. I usually use vacation time for anything I am off and bank or draw the sick pay. My manager is really dislikes people taking the time off, he hates loosing the billable time.

It's pretty simple if an employee needs personal time they tell me they need to be off and I will usually ask what they want to use sick or vac. Requiring a Dr excuse keep them honest and creates open dialogue and they know they do not have to lie to me to get time off.

M5farm":oyx5jofn said:
It's pretty simple if an employee needs personal time they tell me they need to be off and I will usually ask what they want to use sick or vac. Requiring a Dr excuse keep them honest and creates open dialogue and they know they do not have to lie to me to get time off.
If it is your company you have the right to require it, but forcing someone to go to the doc is unreasonable in my opinion. That is one thing that is driving up health care costs and around here you are lucky to even get into the doc the same day unless you go to a walk in clinic then you spend half a day there.

Requiring a doctors note would force me to come in with flu and give it to everyone else. If I have to visit the doctor, it would cost me $150 with my health insurance. Not going to do that unless I'm near death.

My employer which is a public school district, offers 10 paid days a school year. 5 can be used for personal business and 5 for child, personal, or any type of family illness. I can accrue the ones I don't use. Currently, I have around 60 days. Good thing since my son is battling cancer. I have lots of days I can use if needed.

I do agree the other guy should be fired. Should not have used sick days for a personal illness. However, he may end up having a doctors note. He might have had some type of stress related illness. Doctor prescribed some downtime.

A set of PTO time is best for all involved I think. The company I work for encourages people to stay home when they are sick instead of coming in and spreading it to everyone else. Requiring a Dr. note is not a good idea; your either going to raise your medical insurance premiums or have people coming in sick and getting others sick. When I am sick, the last think I want to do is to go wait around a doctors office. I honestly don't think I would work for a company that would require something so stupid.

How about a company that requires a drug test if you have any kind of an accident, for instance the job requires running cable through attics ,if the employee steps through the ceiling his supervisor has to take him to get a drug test asap. Any minor accident requires a drug test, with your supervisor.

Latest posts