Urea

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
How much urea would you consider too much to put on Bermuda field.
We fertilize after each cutting.
I just want to make sure there is no danger of nitrate poisoning.

dt34715":2iof78ab said:
That is a good question that I don't know the answer too.
Neighbor a few years back had a dummy calf storm with almost every other one a dummy.
Vet claimed it was due to nitrate poisoning.

If you are cutting hay, for every ton of hay produced (2 - 1000 lb bales) takes 50 lbs of N, 14 lbs of P and 45 lb of K out of the soil. You either replace the nutrients or mine the soil.

Have it tested , if over 5000 ppm, use caution when feeding . You're probably not gonna have anything to worry about unless you get into a drought condition .

bird dog":2j4z20fc said:
BC What kind of soil is that based on? I always have more K than needed in my black soil.

That is based on sandy and sandy loam soils. Your blackland soils have more inherent potassium. Remember that Bermuda needs almost as much K as N. That is why so many get recommendations that call for a 4-1-3 ratio. Dr. Marcus Eichorn at the Homer Research Station in Homer, LA use to recommend a 4-1-4 or 4-1-5 ratio for Bermuda.

To get back on track about how much urea to apply, it gets back to what are your yield goals or expectations. You will need 150 to 200 lbs per acre of 46 -0 - 0 to get 69 to 92 lbs of actual N per acre. Depends on if you want 1.5 to 2 tons per acre yield.

dt34715":k0ez6ycx said:

I'm sure it could happen but I've never seen nitrate poisoning in bermuda. My concern is water and if I'll have enough water to make use of the N so I set the amount of N based on what I think the availability of water will be because lack of water is the most critical limiting factor on bermuda growth - in my view. Right now we are getting plenty of rain so I just put out 90# of N because I think I have optimal growing conditions. If it were droughty I'd drop this back to 60-70#'s of N.

Latest posts