Question re urea versus fertilizer on grain sorghum

Help Support CattleToday:

whitewing

Reaction score
From what I've read on the internet, grain sorghum responds well to nitorgen applications. I've planted about 50 acres, the seedlings are now about 12 days old, and with the next rain intend to broadcast about 125 lbs per acre of urea.

During a phone conversation the other night with a friend, he said that while urea (nitrogen) "will produce lots of nice foliage", I need to apply a balanced fertilizer to optimize grain production.

Is this correct?

The land has been grazed for a number of years, with grain production some number of years ago on all but one pasture that's now planted. I've not done a soil test because it's a pain here (Venezuela), so admitedly I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

Neither urea nor fertilizer are easy to find here. I've got about half the urea I'll need on hand, and have located an equal amount of 10-20-20. Can anyone give me some guidance on the best approach?

jedstivers":42x5wkzo said:
You will need P and K both. Since its hard to get don't worry about what you need and worry about what you can get.
Do a google search on Grain Sorgum fertility and you should get some ideas.

That reminds me, he commented that the soils in my area are usually high in potassium.

Another question JS. When I planted grain sorghum a few years ago, I actually got two crops out of it. I'm planting later this year, but with enough rainfall should get some decent second growth, if not a second harvest. Would it be risky from a nitrate standpoint to bale the second growth for cattle feed?

If you get any rain it will be safe. Last year we harvested the grain, cut and baled the stalks, put 100# urea out and turned on the water. Bailed that regrowth for some really good hay. Some we couldn't water but started getting rain and that was cut again too.

Latest posts