Updating Pasture Cost per lb. DM & Mob Magic

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":3tqf7mhh said:
regolith":3tqf7mhh said:
I'd like some-one familiar with mob grazing to clarify the 'trampling into the dirt' comment - I know I've heard that said before, but wasting grass is no part of my system

1) The basic idea is that the soil is alive and you need to reduce purchased inputs. If you get forage residual in contact with the soil you will create a micro climate (more mositure retained and more shade and more nutrients and more worms and ), and the (non linear) response will make your operation sustainlable. If you have great soil OM and lots of rain and a cool climate than this may be of little value. If chemical inputs are overpriced this may be of great value.
2) The associated assumption is that you are increasing the rest period/shortening the grazing period, which also increases the root mass and biological activity. Thinking below the surface is key, and I missed this initially.
3) The third thing is that you are either making moves every couple hours, or top animal performance is not needed. Pounding down headed out grass does not work the best for some classes of cattle.

I think the thing that does not usually get mentioned is how afford the initial "waste." Seems like cheap leased land, or deep pockets, or delayed turn out, and/or reduced stocking is needed for a year or two...

Sounds like you would have to get ahead of the curve and start grazing some high grass that's already seeded. So at what stocking density does this tall grass get trampled or eaten? We all know what happens when the stocking density is too low in this situation.

Latest posts