Update of calf with swollen jaw

Help Support CattleToday:

NOREASTER

Reaction score
Last night he was eating good, drank all his milk and ate his calf starter. Took his temperature and it was normal. The swellings are hard but doesn't seem to bother him. I don't know if its my imagination working overtime but it seemed that was kept licking his nose. Tonite I am going to give him a dose of LA200 just as a precaution. Incase it is lumpy jaw is it contagious? My daughter just bought a very expensive month old calf which is the calf next to this one. I also checked to see when calves cut there molars and it seems they cut them at about 5 months old so this calf is pretty young to have teeth problems. I am hoping to get the vet here sometime this week. I heard a treatment for lumpy jaw is putting iodine of potash in there drinking water for 4 to 6 weeks - has anyone ever heard of this? I want to thank everyone for your help!

NOREASTER":1pl91b3e said:
Last night he was eating good, drank all his milk and ate his calf starter. Took his temperature and it was normal. The swellings are hard but doesn't seem to bother him. I don't know if its my imagination working overtime but it seemed that was kept licking his nose. Tonite I am going to give him a dose of LA200 just as a precaution. Incase it is lumpy jaw is it contagious? My daughter just bought a very expensive month old calf which is the calf next to this one. I also checked to see when calves cut there molars and it seems they cut them at about 5 months old so this calf is pretty young to have teeth problems. I am hoping to get the vet here sometime this week. I heard a treatment for lumpy jaw is putting iodine of potash in there drinking water for 4 to 6 weeks - has anyone ever heard of this? I want to thank everyone for your help!

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... umpy%2cjaw

http://cvmstudent.cvm.msu.edu/cvm2008/v ... _bovis.htm

http://www.bartleby.com/65/lu/lumpyjaw.html

I was told by the vet that lumpy jaw can sometimes be caused by pieces of hay getting stuck in the gums and causing an infection in there.

Agree that foreign debris can sure make a mess when it comes to infection.

Honey and I doctored one of his two month old calves a couple of weeks ago. He had a softball sized lump under his jaw.

Lanced it with an exacto knife, drained the wound, and gave him a shot of Nuflor. Came around wonderfully, but talk about a gross process! We squeezed the bejezus out of that lump after it was lanced (about a two inch incision) and got about a cup and a half of putrid pus and lumps out of the abcess.

:mrgreen: (colour of my face during the operation and after whilst cleaning pus off my boot)

Anyway, figure it was most likely a barley beard from some of the straw that we'd been using to bed the cattle. Can't really notice that he ever had anything wrong with him, except for a wee bit of excess tissue under the jaw.

We've had to perform this makeshift surgery a few times to clear out abcesses on calves and cows. As much discomfort as the operation causes the animal, sure must be a relief in the end when that pressure is released, and they all healed well.

End of rambling discourse. :roll:

Take care.

I did the same thing Annie reports...same 2" laceration, cup or so of putrid pus. Stinks too...The old single-horn cow recovered quickly. Oh yeah, swabbed the hole with iodine too.

Latest posts