Up it goes

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I looked at Superior's sale and yesterday they had a pot load of 400 pound steers out of southern Idaho bring $3.93. We're knocking on the door of $4.00! The future is so bright I have to wear shades!

Dave":33c16qd1 said:
I looked at Superior's sale and yesterday they had a pot load of 400 pound steers out of southern Idaho bring $3.93. We're knocking on the door of $4.00! The future is so bright I have to wear shades!

If I get 4 bucks a lb I may be able to retire and not worry about SSI or working till im 95 years old :lol2:

For years we got the Superior sale on RFD. Recently they are no longer on there. I liked watching the sales and wishing. I didn't think I would ever see $2.00 calves and then $3.00 calves so I will watch now for the $4.00 calves.

kenny thomas":pka7o6f8 said:
For years we got the Superior sale on RFD. Recently they are no longer on there. I liked watching the sales and wishing. I didn't think I would ever see $2.00 calves and then $3.00 calves so I will watch now for the $4.00 calves.

Ya they moved the sales from rdr to I think it's called family network ? Or something like I will look when I get home.

pricefarm":1cf1qrj2 said:
kenny thomas":1cf1qrj2 said:

Ya they moved the sales from rdr to I think it's called family network ? Or something like I will look when I get home.
Please do, If it i on Direct TV I would love to know where. I dont get to see it often but like to when I can.

kenny thomas":2l8ysyfi said:
pricefarm":2l8ysyfi said:
kenny thomas":2l8ysyfi said:

Please do, If it i on Direct TV I would love to know where. I dont get to see it often but like to when I can.

Yes it's call family net. We have it on comcast cable I tried to google it to see what ch it would be for direct tv but didn't have any luck. They have a lot of the same shows that rfd has

denvermartinfarms":3g16pwvp said:
I have a hard time seeing a 1572$ 400lb calf making money.
Denver, I ask some of the buyers here where it should stop. They all say a long time ago. I have almost stopped buying. I bought 7 this week and sold 6 of them. I need a few 750 lb heifers to finish a load but I doubt they will make much money. But the other 60 on the load cost 1.40 last fall weighing 500 so they will make up for it.

kenny thomas":fgivoix5 said:
denvermartinfarms":fgivoix5 said:
Denver, I ask some of the buyers here where it should stop. They all say a long time ago. I have almost stopped buying. I bought 7 this week and sold 6 of them. I need a few 750 lb heifers to finish a load but I doubt they will make much money. But the other 60 on the load cost 1.40 last fall weighing 500 so they will make up for it.
I know there's alot I still don't know, but I just see these prices ending bad for some people. There's been some 5wt steers bring over 1500$ here this week, I know people local that buy 4 and 5wts to feed to 850lbs, even if today's market continues there not making money.

That was one thing I could never figure out... (just tossing numbers here) If you buy a 500 lb calf for $240cwt, Feed it for 6 months, make it a 1000 lb calf Sell it for $140cwt. You would make $200 GROSS. Nothing if you had to buy any feed at all. Makes zero sense...

denvermartinfarms":3rzt8fpj said:
kenny thomas":3rzt8fpj said:
denvermartinfarms":3rzt8fpj said:
I know there's alot I still don't know, but I just see these prices ending bad for some people. There's been some 5wt steers bring over 1500$ here this week, I know people local that buy 4 and 5wts to feed to 850lbs, even if today's market continues there not making money.

The thing is that these cattle are being bought in numbers that this isn't the small guy or the backyarder. And you know that those people investing that many millions of dollars have sharpened their pencil pretty well and have contracts and hedged to the point where they are pretty darn sure their money is safe. That said you know that next year or the year after or maybe three years from now there will be a market correction. Keep an eye on numbers because there will be a time when you don't want to be caught with your neck stuck out too far. But for now I sure wish I had a load of calves selling on Superior today.

PLTannery":55buxn4c said:
That was one thing I could never figure out... (just tossing numbers here) If you buy a 500 lb calf for $240cwt, Feed it for 6 months, make it a 1000 lb calf Sell it for $140cwt. You would make $200 GROSS. Nothing if you had to buy any feed at all. Makes zero sense...

We sold 950# steers this week for $188.50 (and that was for 2 - a load would easily have been $10 higher)... Not to say it couldn't go down, but looking ahead right now, $140 1000# steers aren't in sight.

2 weeks ago a special cow sale here in NC , commercial middle aged , bred cows , brought as high as $2900 per head , some were 8-9 old cows, all were commercial , mixed bred cows, preg check safe , I could not beleive how high they were .

I didn't see it at the time but on Superior there was a load of 137 weaned steer calves weighing 350 pounds out of Wyoming that brought $4.22. So they not only broke through the $4 mark they went way past it. We know it won't last forever but dang these are the good old days.

I pulled the prices off the local markets stock report for 6-30-14... so they are very real for me.

Check it out at the Stockland livestock market report from davenport WA.

PLTannery":3bh05hbs said:
I pulled the prices off the local markets stock report for 6-30-14... so they are very real for me.

But you quote the classic example of a low price market. Last week 900-1,000 pound large number 1 feeder steers at Davenport were $1.79. The same week the same steers at Toppenish were $1.94. That is $150 dollars difference on a 1,000 pound steer. Now on one steer the cost of hauling wouldn't make it worth while but on a pot load it makes all the difference in the world.

PLTannery":3ot560bn said:

So your quote of $140 on 1000# steers - was that an average? If so, on how many head? What were they?

I do absolutely agree that paying $240 for 500# steers and selling them for $140 at 1000# doesn't pencil out. But that $240 cwt stocker is close to what the rest of the country is averaging, the $140 feeder is not. Either the sale you're quoting has a weak feeder market (many smaller sales do) or those $140 feeders were low quality. Or maybe some of both. It's like comparing apples and oranges - you can't pay apple price and expect to sell for orange price, or vice versa.

Navasota (Texas) Livestock Auction--report for July 26 2014

Volume: 1349
Total Sellers: 322
Total Buyers: 85
Trend of Market: Steady--$ 5 Higher & Very Active
WEIGHT:---------------- STEERS:----------- HEIFERS:
150-300 lbs. -------------2.00—4.15--------- 1.95—3.50
300-400 lbs. -------------2.00—3.45--------- 1.85—2.80
400-500 lbs.------------- 1.75—3.15 ---------1.75—2.60
500-600 lbs. -------------1.60 –2.80 ---------1.65—2.55
600-700 lbs.------------- 1.55—2.40--------- 1.60—2.175
Slaughter Bulls: 1.00—1.51