unrolling field fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
Anybody have any home built contraptions they have made for unrolling field fence with the roll vertical? I don't want to buy anything. Prefer to build it. I have some ideas, but I don't like to spend time reinventing or perfecting the wheel. Pictures appreciated.

You can build a unroller with a piece if pipe and square tubing that fits in the receiver hitch of your truck make the pipe a foot or so longer than your wire and run a chain from the top of the pipe to your gooseneck ball for stability

I always unrolled mine horizontally with my dew eze bed

highgrit":3rx4hmom said:
What ever you build put a wore out disc cone up on the bottom of the roll.
Like AC said, use square tubing so you can put it in your receiver hitch. Weld a piece of pipe to it vertically and weld the wore out disc blade to the bottom. Set the roll on it and go.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy weekend. I'm wanting to unroll in the vertical postion because I will be driving between trees. The fence will be straight in the end. But it would be a real pain to unroll in the horizontal position. I'm thinking of a homemade tow dolly. Something I can slide the roll on horizontal, then pivot to the vertical position and pin it. It would have 2 wheels, and a tow bar that would attach to a receiver ball so I can pull with truck, tractor, or 4 wheeler (or unhook and pull by hand in the tight spots). I know what I want and can build it. I was hoping that someone here had already built something similar.

skyhigh......your method is the way I've done it for years. It would not work well for what I'm doing. I've always cabbaged on to the idea that laziness is really the mother of invention : )

I have a design that I would make one out of a 3pt hitch trailer moving attachment but its hard to describe but it would use a worn out disc as High said.

Ouachita":lcn6mqlh said:
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy weekend. I'm wanting to unroll in the vertical postion because I will be driving between trees. The fence will be straight in the end. But it would be a real pain to unroll in the horizontal position. I'm thinking of a homemade tow dolly. Something I can slide the roll on horizontal, then pivot to the vertical position and pin it. It would have 2 wheels, and a tow bar that would attach to a receiver ball so I can pull with truck, tractor, or 4 wheeler (or unhook and pull by hand in the tight spots). I know what I want and can build it. I was hoping that someone here had already built something similar.

skyhigh......your method is the way I've done it for years. It would not work well for what I'm doing. I've always cabbaged on to the idea that laziness is really the mother of invention : )
We took an old Push lawn mower with the engine removed. Welded 2 brackets on it upright, we just put a piece of all thread thru the roll and slide it thru the bracket then screw a nut loosely on the end. Pull it with a 4-wheeler.

I built one out of tubing that fits on the 3 pt hitch of a tractor. Built the frame, put a removable upright bar in the center. Turned the end tube of the frame at an angle where a piece of hinged angle iron would fit snug.
Tie the end of the wire off to the corner, drive to the other corner, swing the angle iron against the tubing to lock the wire. It is tightened with a binder. Drive forward, pull wire tight.
Wish I knew how to upload pictures.

Latest posts