Unpolished Turds (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan

Reaction score
I tend to agree with ALACOWMAN about the "polished turds" that he talks about in his BULL PHOTOS thread. Feed and the resulting fat can hide a lot of faults. Of course, we all want big performance numbers and almost all of us will buy the fattest bulls out of a bunch, so what do we expect breeders to do but pour the feed to them?

I realize that bulls need some extra condition going into breeding season to make up for the energy losses that comes with their job. But I also know that I hate trying to look through fat to see the real bull underneath and I really hate it when new bulls melt as soon as they see my pasture. I like looking at bulls in using condition and I sure don't ever get them too fat while I've got 'em. LOL

I had trouble deciding on which bull I like best out of the ones I'm using now. I finally narrowed it down to two, though. Both of these bulls are three year olds and they came off grass as yearlings. They were cheap enough and they didn't come with a feed trough habit that many young bulls have. Yes, they have plenty of faults. Probably not enough hindquarter for some of you and maybe not enough rib. Granted, the bottom bull is a little feminine headed. In fact, I almost didn't buy him just for that reason, but the older he gets, the better I like him.

I like these little terminal bulls because they're really long-bodied, they're straight enough, they've got just the right amount of bone and they've also got plenty of muscle for three year old bulls that don't stand at the feeder all the time. They give me long-bodied calves that practically fall out of a cow at around 80 to 85 pounds. Their calves hit the ground looking for something to suck, they grow faster than any calves I can remember, and most of them are polled.

As with all bulls, the proof is in the calf crop and the pics that follow the bulls should really tell you why I like 'em. These calves are two and three months old and primarily out of Beefmaster cows and a few Sim cross cows. So tear these bulls up and tear 'em down, judge them any way you want to, but they've got a home here for a long time.

B9.jpg

B94.jpg

100_0172.jpg

201837bb.jpg

da5337df.jpg

100_0171.jpg

100_0197.jpg

Texan, they look like pretty good bulls to me. I'd like to take the head of the first one and put it on the body of the second one, as in my mind the second bull is the best total package, but what do I know? Good long-bodied calves. If I was in the commercial cross-bred business, I'd be proud of them, and they'd be welcome in my pasture.

Nice bulls and nice calves! I see you use ear marks, too. Do you use them to designate bloodlines? I noticed several of the calves have the same ear mark. Thanks!

Practical, solid, good-bodied, thrifty money-makers. FINE calves, and if you plan to keep any of the heifers as replacements, a high quality Red Angus or Black Angus bull would make a real cross for Heterosis and a Composite base for additional replacements. You are doing a GOOD job of planned breeding!

I agree with greenwillowherefords about the head of the first bull on the body of the second one. But both bulls are fine terminal sires, and your replacements should be terrific!

DOC HARRIS

Texan has beefmaster cows??! i dont think i knew that.

totally agree about the bulls. i like the second the best, head and all. i'll take a feminine headed bull anytime as long as he knows what to do with the twig and berries.

That is one fine set of calfs Tex, pretty place also.
Bulls with there working clothes on and still look good.
I was a little disapointed as I expected to see Ollie and you in the picture with your working clothes on.

Nice Bulls guy! I really like those calves, that are already so muscular. I can truly say I wish I had as much grass as you have right now :(

Good bulls, Texan. They could stand to be solid Black or Red instead of white. Neither did I know that you had that many Beefmaster cows. The calves are well built and well muscled. They should do well for you this Fall.

Great looking bunch of calves Texan! You definately have an eye for picking a bull that will complement your herd.

That's a hard deal for me sometimes. And I agree.. it is very hard to turn down the "fed" bulls, because they do look good! You really have to know your stuff to be able to judge a bull in his "working clothes", and then be able to determine what he'll do on your cows.

Great job!

msscamp":2w4039mw said:
I see you use ear marks, too. Do you use them to designate bloodlines? I noticed several of the calves have the same ear mark. Thanks!
We use them to designate calves that have been worked. They get a viral in the left side of the neck, a clostridial in the right side and then a notch in the left ear. Always in that order because the guy that does it is getting pretty forgetful and sometimes looking at the earnotch is the only way he can remember for sure that they've been vaccinated. Then dehorning, castrating, followed by branding.

Texan":3c7fhcq7 said:
msscamp":3c7fhcq7 said:
I see you use ear marks, too. Do you use them to designate bloodlines? I noticed several of the calves have the same ear mark. Thanks!
We use them to designate calves that have been worked. They get a viral in the left side of the neck, a clostridial in the right side and then a notch in the left ear. Always in that order because the guy that does it is getting pretty forgetful and sometimes looking at the earnotch is the only way he can remember for sure that they've been vaccinated. Then dehorning, castrating, followed by branding.

Of course there is no way the guy doing it could be you. ;-)

Latest posts