Uno Mas or Spartacus

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Calf born 291 days post AI to Uno Mas.

Cow is a PB Simmental sired by Flying B Cut Above. DBLDF Kim Kardashian.

2pqweo2.jpg

9av4lj.jpg

16jhjr6.jpg

I will DNA test this calf. After she settled from the AI, she was out with a bull. I was gone during her next cycle so did not confirm that she passed it without coming into estrus. I wonder whether she was 6 days late or 2 weeks early. If anyone can tell by looking at the calf, please comment. The bull is a Built Right product, which throws some white. On the other hand, the dam of the cow is a Lucky Dice product which also throws white. Size wise, the calf was small for being late. I estimate 75 pounds at birth which is small for my average birth weights (90).

Could be either way.
Guessing the clean up bull was black also?
Might want to get you a solid red clean up bull, be bit easier to tell then.
Good looking calf.

Given the bw - 2 wks early by Spartacus or 6 days late from the A.I. calving ease bull Uno Mas
4-1 It's a Spartacus - and the calf is a beauty
(The white on the 2 rear feet influenced me to move the odds from 3-1 to 4-1 but what do I know)

Ron, I'm gonna guess that's a Spartacus calf. Don't think Uno Mas would give you that much chrome even with that cow having a blaze. The Built Right genetics really like to put out some chrome. I would be sure though with the DNA test. My Packin Heat son has been having several blaze face calves and I know the chrome has to be coming from his mother who was a Built Right daughter.

I'm going on an AI breeding... I don't consider 291 days very much overdue, I've had many go 295, and a lot less in the 270's

I am tossed. I agree with Nesi, that a simm can go that long without a problem. HOWEVER, I have yet to see an Uno Mas with that much white, and an overdue calf on HIS farm should have been 100 pounds plus! He is known to have big birth weights on his farm in KY, so again, a guessing game. Only DNA will tell the story, but if I was betting (which I do not do), I would say the Uno Mas.... but then again, it looks like a Spart calf to me!

The DNA test checks back to....

UNO MAS.

YEEEEEE HA

148mcs8.jpg

Interesting. I have talked to Select Sires. They have not seen an Uno Mas calf with this much chrome. But the cow goes back to Lucky Dice so the chrome may be her doing. Her previous two calves have shown a lot of chrome. Whatever, the DNA says UNO MAS.

Latest posts