Umbilical Hernia

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Heifer about 2 1/2 months old and I'm pretty sure she was born with it. First day I saw her I thought she was a little bull calf. Today is the second time I've felt it and I'm pretty positive that's what it is. My question is what do you do with her from here? I'm not interested in a big vet bill because I wouldn't retain her regardless. Should I get her to the sale barn ASAP or keep an eye on it?

are you sure it is a hernia or just a large navel like some brahma types, if it is a hernia either sell her or have it repaired as she will die in time. if it is a hernia you should be able to feel some gut in it

I've felt a few of them in hogs, but this is the first one in a calf. I can feel the intestine come down and loop back up inside. feels like what I've felt before. Question is what do I do with her?

the calf I posted a photo of last year, I went to visit the group at their grazier a few weeks ago and took the time to peer at her belly. Hernia is now undetectable.
The previous calf I had with one was born in '03 and went open as a five or six year old, hernia resolved itself as she grew up after surgery and clamping both failed.

If you don't want a big vet bill clamping might give you a small vet bill - just my calf found it incredibly painful and kicked the clamp off, so I left her alone after that.

Thanks. I was unsure how calves react to them, which is why I asked. Vet told me with hogs that after surgery the hernia would likely return when they were pregnant. I'm like anyone else. I want to get as much for her as I can, but I don't want to put her through anything unnecessary.

Have tried non surgical method on a couple of occasions with success, it all depends on the severity of the hernia. How severe is it Slick?

One positive is that it's a heifer. Check the size of the hole in the wall, push any bowel that may be sticking through back then wrap the calf with an elasticized bandage for a couple of weeks - after that period check to see if the hole is getting any smaller....if not, surgery will be needed.

Have never tried the clamps Rego.

It's not too bad. I could feel maybe 6" of intestine. This picture was taken when she was 3-4 days old. Don't have a recent one, sorry.

alisonb":2hkalglb said:
One positive is that it's a heifer. Check the size of the hole in the wall, push any bowel that may be sticking through back then wrap the calf with an elasticized bandage for a couple of weeks - after that period check to see if the hole is getting any smaller....if not, surgery will be needed.

Alison wins the prize! I wrapped it up for a couple of days and then I found the bandage off and in the pasture. I decided the heck with it and left it alone. On Monday I loaded her and her mom up to go to the breeder and this thing is healing on its on. Just feeling a small bump now. Sure makes me feel better.

Resurrecting this thread as we (well, a friend who co-pastures) have a 6 week-old steer with what appears to be an umbilical hernia. I have heard that it needs wrapped. What would you use? Ace bandage? I have seen a reference to Elastocon but can't find anything out about it.

I assume you push the material back up then wrap it snugly (not too tightly?) I assume you want a bit of width to the material so it doesn't constrict the animal?

Any other advice? Is this an emergency or can we wait a day or so to get him in the chute? (Will try to get a pic). What are his chances if nothing is done? He is a nice red angus steer, otherwise healthy and acting normal.

I used pieces of denim, but as you read my bandage job was less than desirable. Pushed the gut back in as well as I could and tied it off.

I fixed one in a bull calf I was training to work as an ox by wrapping him with duct tape. Had to pull it off every 3-4 days and rewrap him. He did look funny being bald for 2 feet right in the middle. Worked out fine though. Unless its a bull or heifer meant to be kept for reproduction I wouldn;t worry about it. Sometimes they heal by themselves. I've hear stroys of strangulated intestines from them but I've never seen it or talk to anyone that has. It's always been a friend of my cousins next door neighbors brother.................

dun":3hwl1v1f said:
I fixed one in a bull calf I was training to work as an ox by wrapping him with duct tape. Had to pull it off every 3-4 days and rewrap him. He did look funny being bald for 2 feet right in the middle. Worked out fine though. Unless its a bull or heifer meant to be kept for reproduction I wouldn;t worry about it. Sometimes they heal by themselves. I've hear stroys of strangulated intestines from them but I've never seen it or talk to anyone that has. It's always been a friend of my cousins next door neighbors brother.................

Thanks Dun. Someone is suggesting pantyhose over vet tape (whatever that is)...Maybe we'll pen him up close by where we can keep a close eye on it the next few days, since we have a long weekend, and do something Monday or so if it looks worse...

I missed this thread the first time thru. Leg wraps for a horse. The very elastic kind. The. Gorilla tape it so it won't slide.

Bigfoot":1r5l5naf said:
I missed this thread the first time thru. Leg wraps for a horse. The very elastic kind. The. Gorilla tape it so it won't slide.

Thanks Bigfoot, very helpful!

Workinonit Farm":2zxjrooj said:
"Vet tape" was it Vet-wrap? Its pretty much the same thing as Elasticon. Comes in all kinds of colors.

Could have meant vet wrap. Will check Tractor Supply. Thanks!

Latest posts