Hernia-Genetic?

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
We had to catch a calf that in pasture yesterday that we thought initially had to be a naval infection. We gave nearly a week for the Draxxin to work but wasn't showing any signs of improvement. I called the vet last night that was close to our pasture to see if anyone was there and he said he couldn't take her in that evening. We would have to wait till tomorrow but that it was very rare to be a hernia on a 5 month old calf. We agreed but were quite confident it was.

Forward to this morning and it has been confirmed. He said that the bad part is, it is likely hereditary. Anyone have experience with the hereditary hernia? We don't know IF this is the case and which side of the pedigree it would come from. The dam is a beautiful girl. The calf, we'll just fix up and move to the fat pen. Dam is bred back to Baldridge Compass. Registered dam.

I have NO knowledge of a hereditary hernia and I guess I am wondering, do we see how next calf does? This is not something we want to pass on but can't test for it?

Been shown to be a heritable defect in some breeds and lines w/in breeds.
Probably not all are heritable, but no one knows for sure.
If this current mating is the same and produces another calf with a UH...well, you got your answer; but if not, it still doesn't rule out cow or bull as a possible carrier

ALACOWMAN said:
Might not happen using a different bull..weak muscling??
We had some convo last night with a few other cattlemen. One suggested weak walls and could see that as heritable.

Did speak with our normal vet who saw it more of a rarity than a potential heritable defect. Also spoke with the gentleman who we bought the (bred) heifer from who also owned the bull she had been bred to and he said he hadn't had any problems with a hernia in his herd for 10 years. So, we'll see. Hate to see us cull something unnecessarily.

Lucky_P said:
Been shown to be a heritable defect in some breeds and lines w/in breeds.
Probably not all are heritable, but no one knows for sure.
If this current mating is the same and produces another calf with a UH...well, you got your answer; but if not, it still doesn't rule out cow or bull as a possible carrier

It is a different mating, so we shall see.

I've seen it in certain bloodlines. I was offered a few years ago. He was an ET calf. I was talking to an old breeder about him and the first words out of his moth was I'll bet the farm he a certain bloodline in his pedigree. Sure enough he did. In the last five years I have seen hernias in both Herefords and Angus. I have always been told it is inheritable.

My vets say it mostly is a rarity - just a fluke - but their are also some that are heritable. so, you have no answer. If it is a strong cow family with no history of a problem, I sure wouldn't be culling over it just yet.

NEFarmwife said:
I have NO knowledge of a hereditary hernia....
Many people are unaware of hernias being hereditary, until they see hernias are excluded from
coverage on their accident insurance policies.

A mammal is a mammal and all can get them, most times they're ruled predisposed from birth.

Son of Butch said:
NEFarmwife said:
I have NO knowledge of a hereditary hernia....
Many people are unaware of hernias being hereditary, until they see hernias are excluded from
coverage on their accident insurance policies.

A mammal is a mammal and all can get them, most times they're ruled predisposed from birth.
This is very interesting.

In the convo I had with a gentleman the other day, he said "I suppose it could. I know that I've suffered several shoulder dislocations and my father and grandfather have also had several." I can't say I've ever had one.

Latest posts