Um I don't even know what to say about this.

Help Support CattleToday:

I don;t know where this was done, but years ago in New Zealand they used to bump feral bulls and die them up. Then later came in with trucks and hauled them into trailers and took them in for slaughter. I meat was bulk packaged and the meat market We were partners in bought a lot of the meat . Ground it for burger and used it to add some fat to the extra lean trim. I found the stuff to be really tasty, probably because it was from mature bulls and actaully tasted like BEEF.

It appears all they're doing is knocking them off balance and then riding up on top to hold him down, it looks like an effective way to get the job done.

I don't see anything wrong with it myself either. How else do you catch them? Horse's and dogs might be a alternative but it no better in my eyes. Those are classified as rank bulls in my eyes. And them guy's handled them and got the job done.

I got taken down harder than that many times playing football and rugby.
I don't see a problem with it.
I don't think it's being done for sport. But even then?

Looks like scrub bulls in Australia, meanest critters out in the woods! They are wild animals, not the ones that you feeding oats/hay to. I don't see anything wrong with the video.

Sorry guys but I have a lot of problems with this one. I think the biggest problem is how it is presented, with the choice of music and machismo. You can say what you want about rank bulls and how else to do it, but if the same people were running down deer with ATV's put to the same music, would your opinion be the same? This is what the anti-ag movement feeds upon, it helps no one.

redcowsrule33":9ls9dr2s said:
Sorry guys but I have a lot of problems with this one. I think the biggest problem is how it is presented, with the choice of music and machismo. You can say what you want about rank bulls and how else to do it, but if the same people were running down deer with ATV's put to the same music, would your opinion be the same? This is what the anti-ag movement feeds upon, it helps no one.
Good luck with chasing down deer with 4-wheelers. :tiphat:

That's not my point and you know it.

Presented in a different manner it would be perceived differently. To me it just comes across as wahoo let's runs us down some bulls. All it does is feed the flames.

Going now, have better things to do - I'm going out to haul water to the cows for few hours. Our underground lines have frozen (buried 6'+) and have no practical means of thawing besides waiting for spring (plastic pipes, no good access) so I am literally hosed (get it, hosed... running hoses... never mind :) ). And we are looking forward to another 6-12" for tomorrow with wind and we are losing the nice temperatures we just started yesterday. Just another day in paradise.

How is it that they can't get up after they get pushed over? I guess it runs in the same vein as how I can't understand how in another post a fellow went out with his boss and preg checked a down cow. I just can't see one of mine just letting a stranger glove up and preg check her laying in the pasture. How does that work?

Kingfisher":36144hgw said:
How is it that they can't get up after they get pushed over? I guess it runs in the same vein as how I can't understand how in another post a fellow went out with his boss and preg checked a down cow. I just can't see one of mine just letting a stranger glove up and preg check her laying in the pasture. How does that work?
they tied up the rear legs of a wild cattle so it can't get up and charging at the catchers. They will pick the tied up cattle up later and haul them out to the slaughter.

Not sure I agree that they are mean or maybe I should say they are not very head strong. I think a common Jersey bull would have the grit to throw that ATV and rider about 10 feet in the air. They give up too easy to impress me on being mean critters!

Kingfisher":24cmhrkc said:
How is it that they can't get up after they get pushed over?

It looks like once they are pushed over, the 4-wheeler is parked at their gut area. Being that the bull is on his side with a 4-wheeler at his belly, it is unable to get his legs up under him in order to stand.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with how they are catching them. I do see where the whole thing could be completely misunderstood and viewed by folks who have no experience or knowledge of dealing with situations like this. I can certainly see how this could be 'spun' as animal cruelty....alot of that is in the presentation.

Katherine

inyati13":3e9r4g6v said:
Not sure I agree that they are mean or maybe I should say they are not very head strong. I think a common Jersey bull would have the grit to throw that ATV and rider about 10 feet in the air. They give up too easy to impress me on being mean critters!
Grew up with the jerseys, I would say that the jersey bulls are less cranky than the scrub bulls, tho I do think that the catchers won't have any problems to subdued the jersey bull.

The main problem that I may have with their technique is, how many legs do they break? Or injuries do they cause? If they are uninjured, I can see that this may be the best option for capturing them......But on the other hand, this does look bad for the cattle industry, for those that do not understand how wild and rank these bulls can be.

Latest posts