udder changes in heifer-what does mastitis look like?

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
my heifer, due in 3 weeks, has had some changes in her teats and udder the past few days.
Her udder feels really firm, not soft and jiggly at all. Also her udder and teats look a bit more pink than usual- is this normal?
her temp is 102. she seems like she's acting ok .
BTW, this is the heifer that let the steer nurse on her, so they've been seperated since then. I worry about the plug on the teat being dislodged, allowing bacteria to enter?
Tell me if I'm being too much of a worrier.
Also, what's a pickle teat? her teats are a bit longer than some I've seen on other cows. Hers are 2.5 inches long or so, longer than some of the button-sized ones I've seen on other cows. They used to be buttons :0)

Susie

Her udder sounds fine to me. Mastitis can be difficult to tell, but usually you would see one teat that would be a lot more swollen than the others, and she would have a fever too.

Pickle teat, or Balloon Teats as we call them are just huge expanded teats. You usually have to milk the animal out because the calf can't get his mouth around it. Think of a really big long cucumber, or small Zuchinni!!

Randi

Does the heifers udder feel like clay when you push in on it. Does it leave a small dimple after you press you finger against her udder? If so after she calves you might try giving her a shot of lassix to help releive this. Make sure the heifer has plenty of water though because the lassix will dehydrate her a little. I had a show heifer like this once.

Latest posts