Types of clippers

Help Support CattleToday:

Iowa-angus

Reaction score
I just wondered what you guys recomend for clippers. I will be showing breeding heifer and market beef next year and wanted to do my own clipping. I thought I could practice on them in the winter. Any help?

I think the best favor I can do for you is tell you to "CALL" sullivans. Here is the link for the Iowa branch.
http://www.sullivansupply.com/iowa/sear ... egoryid=29
I use three different sets 1. Sheepheads (oster variable speed) 2. Horse Heads (also oster) and 3. Andis battery operated 2 speeds. I have brands that I prefer based on price and quality. My son goes for the very best since he pays his way through college by clipping (so he owns clippers that I cant even afford). If you call sullivans, They will have a clipper guy that can talk to you about budget and needs then lead you foreward from there. Most of the time they will have some used clippers. I bought a pair of used sheep heads from them about 10 years ago and have had no promblem with them.

i recently purchased a set of Andis AGC 2 speed and they are your all around clippers. They have blades for every purpose without you having to buy 3 different sets. Just stay AWAY from the SUPER BLOCKING BLADE. when you first start out you need to just use a MEDIUM BLENDING BLADE or a T-84.

i don't really like to use all of those big clippers. they vibe too much for me and i don't have that steady of a hand.

so i like to use the smaller andis clippers liek their two speeds and the lightspeeds are sooo cool. they have four lights on the front of them that really help with legs and necks.

but as far as clipper blades go i would go with these:

Head/tail - mediums, t-84
neck- 5/8 or mediums[use mediums going with the hair]
back/legs/ tail head/body- blocking, opti block, x block, or super block[all the blockings you could skin them to no hair... i would know.] :shock:

hope i could help!!

I have no problem with the Andis but I have two sets of the Wahl's clippers (we won one and bought a second.) I learned with these. They are two speeds and seem to do a good job. I would like to buy or borrow a set of Andis to use but I do like what I have. You have virtually the same blade selection for both. It is like any other tool some like one and some like the other. See if you can borrow some to try before plunking down too much or you can go to the larger shows and buy some used from Sullivan's or one of the other vendors. Then we have the indestructible Showmaster clippers that I find myself using quite a bit for behinds and underlines. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.

A set of sheep clippers, or big set of beef heads are probally the worst thing to get for a beginer, trying to get by with just one set of clippers. I would tell you to get a set of Laubes. They are more expenisve, but have 10,000 spm(strokes per minute) compared to the Andis 4500 spm. The laubes, Andis(the past 3 models that thye have came out with), Oster A5's and a few others all use the same blades, and have many different blades to choose from. The Laube's, andis 2 speeds, or a set of Oster A5's.

For blades I would suggest getting the following
#10 Wide- clipping heads, and tail heads (works simaler to a set of large beef heads)
Medium or Blending blade- for blendings necks, and all around clipping

Also a 5/8's is help full for ruffin out the neck, Some people use a T-84 but I havent, After you have clipped with the blending blade for a while you can get a X-block, opti-Block, or another blocking blade but beware because they are VERY sharp they cut to the tips meaning it will almost shave it bald, or if you accidently stab your hand when clipping it make for a very nice hand Falay(I have had it happen!)

Also another clipper that will work is the new Wahl Switch blade, I havent used them either but I have seen some of the big boys at shows using them(but then again they were givin them)

Latest posts