• Disc mower mounted

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Drum Mower

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Sickle Bar mower

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't get in on the vote either. We also try to run two. A JD 946 MoCo w/ rubber rolls and a JD 1600A w/ rubber rolls. Both 12'.

An old haybine is the cheapest way to cut hay no doubt. But with short weather windows and acres to cover I will take the added cost of a discbine to be able to cover 3x as much acreage in the same time.
Only if your time isn't worth much as you already noted.

Here is what a Reese 3100 trail drum mower lays down. I use the 3100 when there aren't super narrow gates or not needing to tedder. If weather window is short, I run the 2070W with it's built in tedder. Both make beautiful hay and maintenance costs are about the cost of a couple hamburgers and drinks per year.

FB_IMG_1405972627113.jpg

I would never trade a disc mower for a sickle cutterbar. I love my disc mower.... look at what I put through it sometimes (I know... you're not supposed to do this). Can you imagine what a sickle would end up like in this?

Mowing CRP 2020-1.jpgMowing CRP 2020-2.jpg

Not saying it's a good idea, but I've cut some trash a lot worse than that with my old haybine. I'm sure I went slower, but it'll cut it.

Latest posts