TX, FL, TN , and some other low tax states

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkansas has low property taxes but the bite comes from state income tax. Ain't no free lunch. They're going to get theirs one way or another

Caustic Burno":1wfkgoa8 said:
Mexico couldn't have it both ways they lost that at San Jacinto when they ceded everything north of the Rio by Santa Anna.
The Mexican government never ratified the treaties signed by Santa Anna cause they didn't like the outcome.

By Mexico's standard the disputed area started at the Sabine River.
Might want to read up on the treaty of
Velasco.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/treasures/rep ... co-01.html
Violation of the conditions of the treaty by both sides made it null and void CB . Treaty of Guadalup Hidalgo finally sealed the deal.

Another Quote about this war:

During the Mexican-American War and his service in it, Ulysses Grant started to formulate his own beliefs and judgments about warfare. He judged the actions of high officers (though not out loud at the time, obviously) and decided that this war was immoral. He disagreed with actions taken by superiors, and believed the entire premise of the war to be a front for acquiring more land that was unopposed to slavery. In his best-selling memoirs written at the end of his life, Grant reflected on his experience in the war, saying, "I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day, regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation." He also stated, "I do not think there was ever a more wicked war...I thought so at the time...only I had not moral courage enough to resign."

It may seem odd to us that a great general like Grant would be opposed to wars as "immoral" or "unjust." To him, however, he saw nothing in the Mexican-American war except a big bully provoking a puny child to respond, and beating him to a pulp (and taking his lunch money) when he did inevitably retaliate. His experience in this war helped him formulate his ideas, ethics, and beliefs that would characterize his command of the U.S. Civil War.

Latest posts