TX, FL, TN , and some other low tax states

Help Support CattleToday:

:roll: You all are so full of :bs: it's unbelievable! The great folks down in Texas are some of the nicest, most hospitable people I have ever encountered. They welcomed this Yankee with open arms and I worked all over that state; from Louisiana border out to El Paso and from the Mexican Border as far north as Denton, and more little burgs in between than I can recall. The hospitality of the native Texans was what I considered to be the greatest thing about Texas.

ETA: they didn't even hold it against me that I was born in Arkansas! :D

bball":2fa5op3c said:
:roll: You all are so full of :bs: it's unbelievable! The great folks down in Texas are some of the nicest, most hospitable people I have ever encountered. They welcomed this Yankee with open arms and I worked all over that state; from Louisiana border out to El Paso and from the Mexican Border as far north as Denton, and more little burgs in between than I can recall. The hospitality of the native Texans was what I considered to be the greatest thing about Texas.

Thank you bball. We do try to be friendly as a rule, and be welcoming. Unfortunately we get too many people come here with their noses in the air telling us how we're doing everything wrong. It sounds like that isn't you.

Edit: By the way, that isn't just folks coming from out of state. Folks from Houston, Dallas, and other cities moving to the country often give the same impression.

Rafter S":17hmw8tj said:
Unfortunately we get too many people come here with their noses in the air telling us how we're doing everything wrong.

That occurs everywhere, not just in the State of Texas.

People often come to Kentucky and criticize our culture. We get criticized for:

1. Language: instead of asking someone "Have you eaten lunch yet". We abbreviate it by saying one word - youetyet.

2. Clothing: why change dirty pants, they just get dirty again.

3. Marriage: if you got a pretty cousin, she cooks well and don't spend money - why go look for a cow when you got one in the family.

4. Chewing tobacco or snuff: if you ain't got a place to spit, what's wrong with pulling your shirt out and spitting down the inside. It comes out in the wash.

5. Hygiene: who has time to brush their teeth and put on under arm deodorant. The chickens need to be fed and the hogs slopped.

6. Guns: what's wrong with toting an arsenal around in your pickup.

The list goes on and on. Rafter, people everywhere whin and complain. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

bball":s2ydhstm said:

Hey!

bball":209fsibt said:

That's because you overcame that disdain of wearing no shoes.

Rafter S":2wglj5x9 said:
Edit: By the way, that isn't just folks coming from out of state. Folks from Houston, Dallas, and other cities moving to the country often give the same impression.
That's because so many of them immigrate from out of state to a Texas metro hub for employment, then a few years later decide they want to be living out in the country.
IMO, the ones from Colorado and Calif are the worst.

US history is full of waves of folks moving west, north, and south. Few of us are on the ground (or even region) our great great great grandparents were.
You Texans might be tired of yankees. But in my area, we have an influx of broke Georgians coming up here to get on Medicaid and our more-generous public benefits. We live in a poor area (therefore low housing costs) in a state with good benefits. So we get hit with welfarians who couldn't get benefits in other states. Our county taxes are almost entirely eaten up (or should I say "et up") with Medicaid costs

boondocks":2r3gfy1y said:
US history is full of waves of folks moving west, north, and south. Few of us are on the ground (or even region) our great great great grandparents were.
You Texans might be tired of yankees. But in my area, we have an influx of broke Georgians coming up here to get on Medicaid and our more-generous public benefits. We live in a poor area (therefore low housing costs) in a state with good benefits. So we get hit with welfarians who couldn't get benefits in other states. Our county taxes are almost entirely eaten up (or should I say "et up") with Medicaid costs

I wondered why True Grit keeps bragging about New England.

boondocks":2bidp7gs said:

When i was just a boy in the late 70s, a couple of my aunts were married to Texans. They 'immigrated' to Indiana to work the steel mills in Gary. My mother followed a couple of her sisters up here and thats how i got here. They made their money and retired back to Texas. That interstate runs both directions.

Bright Raven":3vrljfd9 said:
boondocks":3vrljfd9 said:

I wondered why True Grit keeps bragging about New England.
I've never heard anyone in NY that talked normal, or seen anyone wearing a cowboy hat. I did see someone flying the Confederate flag, and he didn't seem very friendly. She's right on about the broke Georgian come November, when we have to pay the state of NY $14k in property taxes. That's the privilege of owning a summer home - farm that's accessible by boat only in NY. I do like it up there, I'm just not tough enough to live up there.

greybeard":20ntnq9d said:
bball":20ntnq9d said:

That's because you overcame that disdain of wearing no shoes.

I never even seen a pair of shoes until I got to Texas!

haase":3070rlaf said:
What would we do without the state of Texas, the country would be lost.

You wouldn't have the present day USA.

"Measured by its results, San Jacinto was one of the decisive battles of the world. The freedom of Texas from Mexico won here led to annexation and to the Mexican–American War, resulting in the acquisition by the United States of the states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Oklahoma. Almost one-third of the present area of the American Nation, nearly a million square miles of territory, changed sovereignty."

Caustic Burno":2ehxs2ux said:
haase":2ehxs2ux said:
What would we do without the state of Texas, the country would be lost.

You wouldn't have the present day USA.

"Measured by its results, San Jacinto was one of the decisive battles of the world. The freedom of Texas from Mexico won here led to annexation and to the Mexican–American War, resulting in the acquisition by the United States of the states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Oklahoma. Almost one-third of the present area of the American Nation, nearly a million square miles of territory, changed sovereignty."

Since you brought up The Mexican war. Don't forget if it weren't for Tennessee you'd be wearing a sombrero and chewing on a jalapeño right now