Two ?s, cows in heat

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Thank all of you for answering previous questions on here. 1.) I noticed yesterday a cow that appeared to be in heat. My bull was trying to get to her and another cow kept trying to keep him away. The cow trying to keep the bull away would mount the cow in heat and the cow in heat wouldn't move, then when the bull would try to mount the cow in heat, she would move away. What is going on here? 2.) I have an older cow that I would estimate to be about 13 years old that seems to keep coming into heat (last time was this past Sunday). I have seen my bull breed her twice for sure. Her last calf is about 11 months old and was weaned at 7 months. Would she be showing signs of being in heat and allowing the bull to mount her is she was already bred or is she just too old? Thanks in advance for any help.

[email protected]

Well at 13 years old she if in good health and "normal" would not be too old to concieve.

Has she concieved from this particular bull before?

If so, she may have aborted for some reason when previously bred, or calved someplace and lost the calf.

Most cows seem ready to re-breed about 45 days after they give birth. Then if I recall correctly, there is a 17 day cycle after that when they are able to breed and concieve.

Have your vet to come out and check her to see if she is preggo.

To further complicate the matter, I have seen my bull attempt to mount a cow in her third trimester, who for whatever reason was willing to stand to the mounting, only to have the bull also chased off by a lead cow or sister cow in the herd. The cow that was standing for breeding in my case gave birth to a nice calf about 6 weeks later. I have another angus cow, fully large and projected to give birth in Frbruary. 5 to 8 weeks ago the Bull was protecting her as if she was coming into heat. Go figure.

Call your vet so 1) check the cow and if she is "open" yet in good health, then make arrangements to have him (or her) sperm check your bull.

Ichi

> Thank all of you for answering
> previous questions on here. 1.) I
> noticed yesterday a cow that
> appeared to be in heat. My bull
> was trying to get to her and
> another cow kept trying to keep
> him away. The cow trying to keep
> the bull away would mount the cow
> in heat and the cow in heat
> wouldn't move, then when the bull
> would try to mount the cow in