Two Month Old Calves - - - Never Seen Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
I've got some calves that are almost two months old that have never seen a drop of rain. It's bad boys.

We have relatives in Pisgah and they're hurting. Unusual because AL is typically a week or so behind KS with the weather and we've had unbelievable rain this year. Hoping Mother Nature brings you rain SOON!

Ol' 243":263uehvq said:
I've got some calves that are almost two months old that have never seen a drop of rain. It's bad boys.

I do not think of Alabama as a drought region. Kentucky gets a lot of gulf moisture. The prevailing direction is coming out of the SouthWest. Hits colder fronts coming down from the north. It has been a good year here for rain. Been a dry fall. Hope those calves see rain.

I have 3 month old calves that have not seen one ! And the only water they've seen comes out of a tank on the back of a truck and goes into a water trough.

My whole crop of calves last year had never seen rain until it was pretty much shipping time.. No rain at all from April through mid august, and hotter than hades too

I cleaned out a pond today that had not been low in over 10 years. Cleaned out 3 springs but only got 2 of them flowing. I have water from a well but I sure hate going into winter with low flows of water.

It looks like the middle of winter on our place. You can also tell exactly where the end gun shoots on our winter grazing. We have dry corners that look like baby powder. I don't know what we would do if we didn't have the ground water. Come another month or two and we'll go from camels to catfish more than likely. It seems like everything is an extreme these days.

We had a calf born one year and it rained solid for the first month. Poor little turd wouldn;t come out in the open when the sun finally started to shine. He was scared of that big thing in the sky. He would be out and about at night and as soon as the sun started to come up he would go and hide

We are in a D4 drought. The D2 began in June. Our stock pond went dry in August Never been dry before. Been pumping and hauling 1,500 gallons a day from a large pond on the other property since August.
Have been on full winter hay rations for 2 months.
Afraid to drill winter grazing until we get some rain. Have 2 tons of seed sitting in the barn that should have been drilled weeks ago.
No chance of rain on the 2 week forecast.

Latest posts