Two-Eyed Jack line

Help Support CattleToday:

purecountry

Reaction score
I'm wondering what any of you think a coming 3 year old colt that still has Two-Eyed Jack on is papers would be worth? He's a dark bay, very well put up, but just halter broke.

Any thoughts? I haven't had any great offers, but those who have answered my ads have mostly been tire-kickers.

purecountry":29set4nw said:
I'm wondering what any of you think a coming 3 year old colt that still has Two-Eyed Jack on is papers would be worth? He's a dark bay, very well put up, but just halter broke.

Any thoughts? I haven't had any great offers, but those who have answered my ads have mostly been tire-kickers.

Two Eyed Jack is on a lot of papers. My buddy rides a Two Eyed Jack colt at work and wouldn't trade the world for him. My gelding has some Two Eyed Jack/Zann Par Bar in him and it would take quite a bit for me to part with him. But he's a full blown using horse. We've got some colts in the barn that aren't broke yet that came from a "Jacks or Better" sale, and I have mixed feelings about them. The ranch paid $3000/head for them which I think is way too much. Hard to understand what you really have, but true value is usually only determined when a horse proves something.

:lol: I have a 24 year old gelding out of Scooter Joe Jack
( out of Two Eyed Jack) and an Eternal Sun mare. He was a stinker as a colt and finally got smart at about age 10. :oops:
I had to retire him last year as he has arthritis problems. The kids are learning to ride on him. In the past ,he has won many
halter classes and field hunter classes. :D

I'd have to agree DR, that a horse ain't worth spit until he's proven. It just seems a shame for me to sell him at one of these local horse sales where I know he'll go under $500. I just don't have the time to train him with all the other things I have on the go.

Some of those Two Eyed Jack horses are real dandies.

Is it possible for you to send him out for a month to someone with the time to start him?

Doesn't make much sense to throw a good colt away for meat prices.

Any pictures of him?

As far as value goes, my two -three year old colts sell between 2 -3 K depending on if they've been started or not.

Take care.

There's lots of folks around here that'll start him out. The only problem is they want $750 a month to do it. The cheapest I've ever had someone start a colt was $450/ month, but that kid has gone off to Australia or something, and the rest seem to think they're all Pat Pirelli and can charge whatever they want.

Or if they do charge less, it's b/c they want you to supply the feed.

How far back is Two Eyed Jack? That will make alot of difference on how much he is worth. You're right with the cost of training, although I have found good trainer to start a horse for $300 per month + board. Took some hunting though.

Alan

purecountry":3ukkdh4b said:
He's on the last line of his papers, so Two-Eyed Jack is his great grandfather.

That's not too bad for Two Eyed Jack, 1/8 Two Eye Jack. To get an idea of what kind of price that horse is worth you might go to http://www.dreamhorse.com and do a pedigree search for Two Eyed Jack on third generation using your zip code. Price will also be dictated by the other 7/8 of the pedigree.

Good luck,
Alan

Horses lose there value after they are two years old if they are not broke. People think that there is a reason that they aren't broke by three, and alot of the time they are right. i think that there are way to many green broke 3 and 4 year olds in the horse market. I have a friend that breaks them at three and they all turn out fine. I just think that people want them broke by the time that they are three.

kaneranch":3dijulvl said:
Horses lose there value after they are two years old if they are not broke. People think that there is a reason that they aren't broke by three, and alot of the time they are right. i think that there are way to many green broke 3 and 4 year olds in the horse market. I have a friend that breaks them at three and they all turn out fine. I just think that people want them broke by the time that they are three.

My own saddle horse I did not get on until he was 3 he is now a green broke 4 yr old. I wish the horse industry would get rid of the 2 yr old stuff. 18 months or even 2 yrs is too early to start a horse.

JMO,
Alan

I agree with Alan its real easy to over do the training and risk injury on these two's. I am real selective on the job I pick when I leave the barn on a two year old. It's pretty easy to over match the colt when you are out trying to get a job done. I start them lightly as 2-s if I can, but if I don't get around to it until they are three that is fine too. At three they can handle alot more physically and mentally.

I am not sure what side I take on the two year old arguement. I have heard smart people tell me both sides.

Alan":1o0ksr7o said:
kaneranch":1o0ksr7o said:

My own saddle horse I did not get on until he was 3 he is now a green broke 4 yr old. I wish the horse industry would get rid of the 2 yr old stuff. 18 months or even 2 yrs is too early to start a horse.

JMO,
Alan

I like to start them as 2 year olds. Seems like they are little more impressionable at that age. But there's a lot of old cowpokes out there that won't touch a horse until he's 4 or 5. And they don't even decide whether they're going to cut em before then. And the one's I've talked to are usually riding out herds with them in 3-5 days.

Latest posts