Problems loading horse into two-horse trailer? LOOK HERE

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
For the past couple of years, loading my SSH mare into a two-horse has been a nightmare. Anytime we go out trail riding I dread loading her up at the end. After working with her for only 20 minutes using this strategy she went right in without force! After that first time, she went in about ten more times in the next twenty minutes. I definitely reccommend trying this strategy: (taken from Horse Illustrated April 2007 issue "Load 'em Up"

When working with a horse that doesn't load well, try using three handlers. One holds the horse straight as the two other handlers lightly tap the horse on the croup with longs whips, encouraging him to move up the ramp.

If the horse swings to the side, then the handler on that side taps the horse's hip to move him back to the center.

The goal of this trailer loading method is to create pressure that the horse is encouraged to move away from.

*I didn't have three handlers so I tied the end of the lead rope inside to the manger of the trailer so she could move forward but not backward. I did the job of both people in back, everytime she'd swing her rear to the left I'd go to the left...and vice versa. I just kept constantly tapping her, and making the clucking sound. I would stop for a couple of minutes if she showed interest in the trailer. (Also, my horse is very afraid of whips (i used a longe whip). I started swinging the whip back and forth and kind of around her feet. She went in immediately. I gave her a little bit of hay when she went in. I think my attitude was also important (I was patient, and encouraging...never yelling at her.)

*She has been in this trailer about 10-12 times before...but everytime by force (Usually pulling her in through the window) :roll:

If you'd like me to try to scan the whole article and post it/email it to you just ask!

I don't think I would "tie" her inside the trailer while trying to load her. Maybe, take a very long rope and loop it thru in the trailer and have the other end in your hand so you can pull her foreward from the back of her. If you tie her and she flips over or something that could be a bad situation.

Good job, Hillary! :) I don't want to take away from what you accomplished, but a few things to think about for future reference - for your safety, as well as your horses. Tangles is dead on about tying her - if she had thrown a fit, she could have gone down and got hurt - possibly very badly. 2nd thing is that the manger is probably not strong enough to hold a fighting horse and, had she decided to throw a fit, she could have broke free and injured you in the process. 3rd thing - never tie a horse lower than their withers, if they pull back or go to fighting they can damage the vertebrae in their neck.

First question is in two years you can't get her to load.Do you work with the horse at home before you need to haul her.Load her at home sometimes and feed her in the trailer.If she doesn't get in she don't eat.What happens on most two horse trailers is they are too low and narrow for most horses espically like yours and she has probably banged her head or hung a hip getting in or out.They have no room to spread their legs for balance when you are pulling down the road.Swap it off for a small stock trailer they make a 12,16ft.taller like a race horse trailer,that pull as well as a sideby.get em with a tack box in front and lots more room.Horses by nature don't really like the hemed in feeling.My wife had a little sideby when we got married but owned a little mare that was an alligator in the barrel race but was not too big for her trailer.She got old and raised colts.The next one we was a big horse and he got in for a few times but kinda bumped his hip once getting in and would not get in the next time.Got a stock trailer, and traded for a single axel much wider sideby.Race horse size.
Every thing was fine after that.Lots of room.Borrow a bigger one and see how it goes might be a bit hard to load a time or two but after a while will get better.Feed her in the trailer a time or two and see how it goes..Make sure you hook the trailer up when you do it,if you don't it will flip up when they walk in.There is no reason for a horse not loading easy.Most that don't have a fear some where.Either it is too confining or they have been slung down sometime or a little of both.We have had people pull right out in fromt and all could do not to hit them have had horses thrown down but it was not on purpose.Give it some though and good luck.Work with her.

I don't think it's a good idea to feed horses in trailers...in fact I tried that (per advice from this board). She choked. Later, the vet said never feed horses in trailers because they can't stretch their neck out enough to swallow right.

All I know is that she wouldn't go in the trailer before...and now she does and all I have to do is make a clucking sound. I posted the excerpt from this article to try and help people who were having trouble with their horses and two horse trailers. It doesn't sound like any of you need help from me...or have two horse trailers.

From what you said your horse wouldn't load.And I have fed in a trailer I can't tell you how many times running down the road from one rodeo to the next.In side buys,inlines and goosnecks.In mangers and buckets.Keep hay in bags and in mangers.never have had one choke.I have had horse that to get to load with out a fight ever time fed them in the trailer and then took them out make it a place that is comfortable.I have seen horse that wouldn't get in a sidebuy after they were thrown down and like A I said hung a hip getting in one that was too narrow.Maby your horse choking was a isolated thing.I would never intentionally say anything to hurt any ones horse or them.I have done this for over 35yrs and have a good bit of experience.Been to four AQHA World Show finalis top ten in the nation.have a horse in the top 20 calf roping,Tim Pharr, PRCA now and last year.One in every division in this Dist.NBHA.And Senior's and youth.Prarie circuit Barrel Race.Have trainerd a horse's that have made the finals in nearly every youth rodeo assn.in N.Tx.and S.Ok.So I have been a few miles and have a little bit of experience hauling as lot of horses in every kind of trailer and for days away from home.Sorry if I am not very smart.

I think there are as many ways to train horses to load as there are types of horse trailers. I have winched them in, held my brothers arm across their rear while my dad pulled from the front, lead them in with another horse, backed the trailer up to their stall (stock trailer) and put their feed and hay in there, lounged them around in circles behind the trailer, squeezed them in, drugged them (vet), and I forget some of the other ways from back when.

Some swear by a certain way but my experience is whatever works without getting you or the horse hurt. My Idiot was trained by the folks I bought him from with the stock trailer feed/hay method. I had suggested it as he was a fighter. Within a few days they would find him standing in it when there was no feed or hay in it. Today I can open the back door and he will walk in and look around and then come out when he has finished investigating.

Just my 2 cents... 1 horse going into a 2-horse,(if the height is ok, and you can't afford to go buy a new stock trailer or a slant-load) take the divider out. Most lift out, if not, find someone with a blowtorch and cut that sucker out. Even if your horse is loading OKAY... for now, they're more comfortable if they can choose to stand sideways, or at a 45, if they want. Had a mare once that would load ok, but every corner, she'd scramble...no matter HOW slow you took the corner. (Ticked off a bunch of other people driving, hauling her, LOL!) Torched out the divider, and she was fine!

Latest posts