twins

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
anyone ever had twins from a cow that was ai bred?

jt

Yes it is not uncommon. It would be the same as a natural service. The egg split or she had two eggs that were fertilized.

We had 2 sets in one year. We bred 8 cows AI and 6 stuck, with 2 sets of twins (all bulls) we had 8 AI calves. 100% rate right.

thanks, just curious. had a friend get 2 bull calves from an ai bred cow. i figured that would be a rare thing but didnt know.

i had called him to see what he had for sale and was interested in the blood line. then he told me they were twins. kind of small when born. he registered one of them at 55# and one at 65#. the smaller is the one he wants to get rid of he thinks. not sure how much to hold all this against them or not. will have to go see them to decide i guess. their pop is supposed to be a really good bull.

jt

then look at the bull calf at weaning/an decide if you want to buy him them.an see how much he weighs at weaning time.

yep, that is my plan, except the bulls are 15 months old now. he did not want to guess weights, so i will decide when i see them. this is an elderly man that is a good friend and that i trust very much and he thinks they are going to be good bulls. that goes along way with me coming from him, but he is like me, and didnt know if being a twin made a difference. i was just curious in the beginning how often twins came from ai'ed cows. he has never had it happen before now.

i need to go see him and visit a little with him anyway.

jt

jt":2ooqxmz1 said:
yep, that is my plan, except the bulls are 15 months old now. he did not want to guess weights, so i will decide when i see them. this is an elderly man that is a good friend and that i trust very much and he thinks they are going to be good bulls. that goes along way with me coming from him, but he is like me, and didnt know if being a twin made a difference. i was just curious in the beginning how often twins came from ai'ed cows. he has never had it happen before now.

i need to go see him and visit a little with him anyway.

jt

It happens with the same frequency as natural service, for exactly the same reasons.
A twin bull will be smaller at birth and usually a little smaller as a yearling, by 2 you can;t tell the difference between a twin and a single.

Latest posts