Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
20160302_172418_zps739ebtn8.jpg

I'd been watching this cow for a couple days. This would be her second calf. She decided to have her 2nd & 3rd. Both heifers.
20160303_171240_zpsu89zebpe.jpg

Getting her up to the barn wasn't easy. I tied a plastic trough to the 4 wheeler, and hog-tied her calves inside it and dragged it. She was not a happy mama (she got me once), but we made it to the barn. I'll supplement her with grain until grass comes on.

Twins definitely are more work, but looks like they are doing well. That's good that they are both heifers. Just be careful around the cow.

9 pairs here for 114 calving cows so far, lost 1 pair breech and already dead. Not a record but the next twins will be, only 9 cows remaining. If we don't break that record it will be ok. Most went well but it's definitely more work!

Dubcharo":2t3xvw7t said:
9 pairs here for 114 calving cows so far, lost 1 pair breech and already dead. Not a record but the next twins will be, only 9 cows remaining. If we don't break that record it will be ok. Most went well but it's definitely more work!
Do you get them up and supplement them or are your cows able to hold condition without extra?

The cows are indoor until the end of may, they are on free choice hay and corn silage. The ones with twins are thinner but stay in good shape. The calves can eat grain begining around 2 months old. Most of them find milk on other cows. Each year we have 4-6 pairs, that is the average in the charolais breed. This year is near record. The calves stay 1 week in the calving pen with their mother.

quartermeter":34o0oyzp said:
What did they weigh.
Didn't weigh them but did pick them both up and I'd say around 60-65# each. They've prob both doubled their bw since

She did it again. Both heifers. I think she was happy to be back in the barn

That's pretty dang impressive. Did you retain either of the other two calves? Also, what kind of bull did you use? Pretty markings. Congrats on the good luck and pay that girl with some groceries!

artesianspringsfarm":e5bnwxxf said:
That's pretty dang impressive. Did you retain either of the other two calves? Also, what kind of bull did you use? Pretty markings. Congrats on the good luck and pay that girl with some groceries!
I kept one of them them. The other didn't make the cut
This group has a white faced sim bull and an angus.
I'll keep her in the barn and feed her some grain until grass comes on.

Probably wean in the next week or 2. Cow did pretty well again with her twins. They may be a little smaller than most the other calves but combined they'll weigh much more than any individual.

Nice! She'll probably be happy to get rid of them!
A cow I sold to a friend (for being sub par) had twins at his place this year.. I have a picture of her looking over the two of them looking SOO proud.
Skip to 6 months later, they're pestering her and she looks totally annoyed and just wants some peace! She used to be a shy cow, low in the pecking order.. Seems that having twins has fixed that for her, she's one of the boss cows now!

Latest posts