Twins or massive problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

Roan

Reaction score
Concerned, have a cow that is due in about 10 days, in front of her udders she is so low to ground, solid, sign of twins? Never had any of thoses and really don't want them. Any ideas? She is huge and from hooks to pins now looks thin, before didn't. :help:

Wouldn't there be some kind of symptoms with that, she acts fine, did a search on it, didn't say much. Just have never seen anything similar to this, she has always been wide and deep but but not like this.

Do a search on this site for 'Hydrops', you'll find my thread from this week and you'll find a couple more threads with much more detail, including pictures.
The outcome is not good if this is what it is.

Thanks Chris, took the iPad out with milkmaids pic of hydrops and sure enough she unfortunately looks just like it! Yea! So will have vet out, would like to wait til Thursday, warmer here than, and I guess see what happens. she is not due til 18th. What are the odds babies alive? Or even if twins? Or prognosis for cow? Not sure wanted to try bottle babies and she is first one due. Well live and learn.oh and of course one of our best cows! :eek:

Personally I would get the vet out ASAP.
Better a day too soon, than a day too late.
Hope that all turns out well.

If it's hydrops, most cases are the hydrallantois type; generally a bad deal. Every one I've ever seen was dead on presentation, with non-viable fetus.
I'm with chippie - I wouldn't be waiting 'til Thursday to get my vet out to have a look at her.

The longer you wait, the bigger the chance the calf(s) is dead. We didn't have a breeding date on our cow so we took a chance the calves were alive and had doc do a c-section. He had examined her the day before and advised waiting. The next day she was down and apparently the pre-pubic tendon had ruptured. She had that death look in her eyes, so we knew she had to be put down. Our twins had their teeth erupted and were good size. Unfortunately they were DOA. They had no sign of deterioration so I'm not sure at what point they died. I wish I had known what was going on a few days before all this, we would have chosen to do a c-section when we saw she had a problem.

Thanks for replies, calling vet in am. Has artery pulse still so babie/twin may still be viable.

Lucky_P":2oxqsn7k said:
If it's hydrops, most cases are the hydrallantois type; generally a bad deal. Every one I've ever seen was dead on presentation, with non-viable fetus.
I'm with chippie - I wouldn't be waiting 'til Thursday to get my vet out to have a look at her.

:tiphat: Yup, I'd be calling Vet now. Good luck.

Well she is still up and moving, osu thinks twins and not hydrops, our vet coming out tomorrow. May have to watch for Prepubic tendon rupture during delivery, will see what out vet says.

Thanks.
Did you have an OSU vet examine her, or do a phone consultation? From what I understand reading about the Hydrops, and from our vet examining our cow, palpating the cow will reveal if it is Hydrops. There is so much amniotic fluid retained that the vet probably won't be able to feel the calf.

Please keep us updated.

Torn Prepubic tendon, c section tomorrow! Yea! :shock:

Roan":3spiwu7i said:
Torn Prepubic tendon, c section tomorrow! Yea! :shock:

Will you be able to salvage the cow, or don't know yet? Hope the calf(s) makes it.

Well vet just called again, now c section moved to Saturday. They think they can have cow live at least to start to raise calf, again depending on milk production etc, d/t edema then ship her but again they are not sure til they cut and see and get calf or twins out. Today her cervix was so low and down he he could hardly feel it and he has long arms. Cow still up and moving , but the stress is showing, . I personally think its a loosing battle but at this stage, not any choice. If she does live she is done having calves and we are not going to do embryos. So off she will go. :( hopefully get a live calf but I am not sure about that either. I still think she might alo had hydrops with the ripped tendon, she looks that weird. Live and learn.

I'm sorry that it is so serious. Good vibes headed your way for a successful surgery on your cow with a viable calf.

Sorry, neighbor. Really hate to hear this kind of story. Lucky P hit it in the first response. Is this prepubic tendon rupture common? I see some of my big pregnant cows running on steep terrain and I hold my breath! I could see how the abdomenal wall could tear away from the front of the pubic area of the pelvis. Has to be strong though to hold up all that visceral mass then add a calves weight to it when they are pregnant. Hope things turn around for you.

Update, c-section over, live single heifer calf, cow won't take it. Yea! So had tubed colostrum and trying to get momma cow with the program. This is her 4th calf so since section, guess she figures she hasn't given birth yet. Stupid cows! :devil2: oh ruptured tendon, no hydrops.

Latest posts