Turnip Greens and Cornbread

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS":11haqueb said:
Cornbread and milk is a delicacy! I love that stuff......whole milk and not buttermilk. I like my cornbread with poke salad. That is one green that we do fry. First we boil it down good and then put it into a skillet with some bacon grease. Scramble a few eggs up in it and serve with hot corn bread and butter. I like this with fresh maters, sauteed squash and deer tenderloin cooked on the grill. That my friends is a meal fit for a king.

Try Spinach cooked like your Poke Salad and sprinkle it with parmesan cheese. We call that Italian Spinach and I serve it with spaghetti and garlic bread. And that is how I made my kids love spinach :)

My dad did the buttermilk thing with cornbread, then he'd just take a big swig of buttermilk out of the carton along with it. We never could break him to a glass.

Auburn_Ag":3b8mbqu5 said:
Crackerplease":3b8mbqu5 said:
The correct term for pea juice is pot liquor!

Cracker you beet me to it.My grandmother always called it Pot Liquor.
People my age rather have pizza and chicken finger and French fries, I on the other hand would love to set down at my grandmothers table one more time and have some turnip greens with fat back in it, with either peas or pintos with ham hocks and sliced onion. Also would like to have cornbread and slice tomatoes with a dab of Bama mayonnaise in the top of tomatoes. If you are the adventurous type put some mayonnaise in your peas. And for dessert cornbread and butter milk!

Ok folks it 9:30 am and I ready for lunch!

!!!!!!!! i ALWAYS put mayonaisse on my peas. But i have never met anyone else in the world other than my dad that does!!!!

Boy, this thread brings back memories! My Mother always ate her cornbread crumbled up in a glass of buttermilk. And I used to love clabber milk and fresh churned buttermilk. Can't find either anymore, nobody milks a cow around here.

We always called turnip green juice Pot Liquor.

My Dad, grandmother and grandfather always eat cornbread crubmled up in a glass with milk. I never caught on to it though. There's a whole lot of things people used to eat that that most people now days don't even know about. I've been trying to cook more and heat up less, and my jeans are really telling me it must be good :lol:

Breakfast and lunch at my grandmother's house would put Shoney's buffet to shame, supper was always cornbread crumbled in a bowl of fresh milk.

My Dad would eat Cornbread and Milk every day before he drove us to school. I love Cornbread, but with Butter on it.

Hey Beefy, You aint lived til' you try Mayonaise on white Rice!!!

garseer":3b28njyl said:
Let's not forget about the purple hull peas. If you have never had any you are missing out on a true southern delight.
Mississippi Purple Hulls are hard to beat. Always eat them New Years Eve.Crowder Peas are darn good too, but unless you grow your own, you only find them frozen.

I love greens of most any type with hot pepper sauce.

We use to a have a decent size purple hull pea patch. I really like home grown crowder peas.

Milk, cornbread and onions was the way my Dad taught me.

M Gravlee":3cnmuun7 said:
Boy, this thread brings back memories! My Mother always ate her cornbread crumbled up in a glass of buttermilk. And I used to love clabber milk and fresh churned buttermilk. Can't find either anymore, nobody milks a cow around here.

We always called turnip green juice Pot Liquor.

Macon, you ever have the chore of churning buttermilk using the old dasher in a churn? I remember sitting just inside the screen door and churning for seemed like hours on end. But that butter sure was good with hot biscuits and sorghum molasses.

I'm envious of this talk of cornbread, wish I could get it right.

I love Pea soup and Pea and Ham soup my Granny used to make it, with chunks of home made bread.

Latest posts