Turnip Greens and Cornbread

Help Support CattleToday:

Eat another bowl, that way you'll be good and loose tomorrow.
Yep, they are good.

Was asking inmate from south if you fry greens, and he called me a "stupid white girl". Still makes me laugh. Have never tried them.

I prefer collard greens to just about all other types of greens. But hafta have cornbread with all of em.

As for cornbread with pea juice........oh man you don't know what yer missin. A big ole mess of black eyed peas, or crowder peas.......mmm mmm mmm :D

A big 10-4 on the cornbread and pea juice. I like cornbread with cornbread, maybe add a little butter. My ole Daddy liked cornbread crumbled up in butter milk. Never could acquire a taste for that.

angie":xtj0ml67 said:
Was asking inmate from south if you fry greens, and he called me a "stupid white girl". Still makes me laugh. Have never tried them.
I'd take that as a compliment, considering the source. Was he an inmate or a Primate?

So long as it is yellow conbread, it goes with anything.

Now if you can find the old fashion stone ground home spun corn meal, you've gotcha sumptin.

We were in Wyoming in '81. The only corn meal you could buy was white. YUK!!! I sure hope times have changed for those folks.

No one has mentioned clabbered milk yet on corn bread. It was a favorite of the old timers. Have they all passed on? Count me out on the clabbered milk. Practically everything else goes.

ALACOWMAN":3b31daiy said:
Beefy":3b31daiy said:
what about cornbread with pea juice on top?
pea juice? .....pinto bean juice is better . with pepper sauce on the turnip greens:cboy:
I'm with you on this one. Nothing beats a big ol pot of pinto beans and corn bread. The next day if there is any cornbread left. I like to take a square or slice. Cut it in half and butter it up. Fry in a good hot skillet. Then pour my bean juice all over it. Now thats some good stuff.

backhoeboogie":1fa1gbt1 said:
No one has mentioned clabbered milk yet on corn bread. It was a favorite of the old timers. Have they all passed on? Count me out on the clabbered milk. Practically everything else goes.
somebody mentioned buttermilk. my grandpaw would crumble it up in a glass and pour buttermilk on it...never developed a taste for buttermilk.yet i like sour cream.... joy i like to take dayold cornbread slice it and put a big ol' slice of tamato in it

Never tried tomatoes on cornbread ,but it don't sound bad. My dad always ate cornbread and fresh buttermilk. He doesn't like the store bought.

Cornbread and milk is a delicacy! I love that stuff......whole milk and not buttermilk. I like my cornbread with poke salad. That is one green that we do fry. First we boil it down good and then put it into a skillet with some bacon grease. Scramble a few eggs up in it and serve with hot corn bread and butter. I like this with fresh maters, sauteed squash and deer tenderloin cooked on the grill. That my friends is a meal fit for a king.

Crackerplease":257htik9 said:
The correct term for pea juice is pot liquor!

Cracker you beet me to it.My grandmother always called it Pot Liquor.
People my age rather have pizza and chicken finger and French fries, I on the other hand would love to set down at my grandmothers table one more time and have some turnip greens with fat back in it, with either peas or pintos with ham hocks and sliced onion. Also would like to have cornbread and slice tomatoes with a dab of Bama mayonnaise in the top of tomatoes. If you are the adventurous type put some mayonnaise in your peas. And for dessert cornbread and butter milk!

Ok folks it 9:30 am and I ready for lunch!

Latest posts