Turned hooves on a new calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Fallfish

Reaction score
Greetings. I have a question for anyone who cares to respond. One of my cows had a calf the other day...big ole bull calf...real nice...except for one thing- He stands still on all of his hooves fine but when he runs he curls one of his hooves back and has a lot of trouble. Any idea what this is? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,

Fallfish

Referred to as knuckling over. Correct advice about most likely overcoming it. If not, we usually catch them and use paint sticks and duct tape to splint it up. You can break the sticks in half and double them up, tape the two pieces together to make them twice as thick, and then put one of the doubled pieces on each side after you straighten out the foot. Be sure you don't get the tape too tight, and don't worry if the calf has a little trouble getting up until he gets used to the splint. In about a week, we try to catch ours and cut the tape in one place alongside one of the sticks. It will then come off by itself in another week or two, after getting wet.

I will try to get this sophisticated technique featured, along with photos, in an upcoming issue of the Journal of the AVMA, unless, of course, the greedy practicioners try to sensor me.

Best of luck, but don't lay awake at night over this one!

Yeah it happens to goats sometimes. It's called spider syndrome unless it's just vitamin definciency or if the calf was in too long could be a number of things. If it walks arounf enough it should go away if not then yeah put a splint on.
Ellie May

Fallfish":2tdggkgt said:
Greetings. I have a question for anyone who cares to respond. One of my cows had a calf the other day...big ole bull calf...real nice...except for one thing- He stands still on all of his hooves fine but when he runs he curls one of his hooves back and has a lot of trouble. Any idea what this is? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,

Fallfish

I've seen this more with simmentals and dairy breeds than anything else. They strengthen up and straighten out after a few days. I had one this year out of a half holstein- half angus cow I use as a nurse cow.

Latest posts