turn out cows

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
this is a poor cow I bought a few weeks ago she is 5 yrs. and was 8 month bred cost 1050.00
I don't know if she is going to give much milk ???? never know that may be why she was at town. Some you win with, some you don't but most of the time I do well with cattle like this.
any tips on making her give more milk. Calf was born Mon, and today Tue. she looks to have more milk. we will see.
[/[URL=http://s429.photobucket.com/...20/kbryant1963/IMG_2771_zpsczxzyuqo.jpg[/img]url]]

She is in the lot now, didn't want to feed her to much before she calved. what would you feed her sweet feed or cubes. She has all the grass hay she can eat in the lot plus I gave her cubes today but thought sweet feed might do better

BRYANT":3nxohytk said:
She is in the lot now, didn't want to feed her to much before she calved. what would you feed her sweet feed or cubes. She has all the grass hay she can eat in the lot plus I gave her cubes today but thought sweet feed might do better

Im not a nutritionist but I think they take to sweet feed better. Most of the good sweet feeds are pretty well rounded feeds and like 12-14%. Plus, some times you can get the calves hooked on it at a pretty young age.

To me she just looks hungry, not really un-healthy. Id say you got a good buy.

Check for lice, ticks and worm her to start.. good food should do the trick for the rest, it may take a bit until she fills out though.. my biggest concern right now in the condition she's in would be breed back

she was the fat one compared to some ! I have had this one around 5 weeks been in good winter pasture and also grass round bales, range meal, and wind and rain mineral out all the time she is gaining and looking much better. She was really wild but has even calmed way down, will go in to the lot and eat with out trying to act like she wants to fight, Like I saw I have good luck with these off colored poor cows most of the time. The plan is most of the time to calve them and sell cow and big calf in fall. If I really like them some get to stay around for a long time but this one is going to have to get more milk or she will take a trip.

looks fine, should do real good on grass. can't beat grass for milk. had one thin heifer I pulled big calf out of & she had no bag, turned her out in hay field & she raised a good calf

BRYANT":370c5d7e said:
she was the fat one compared to some ! I have had this one around 5 weeks been in good winter pasture and also grass round bales, range meal, and wind and rain mineral out all the time she is gaining and looking much better. She was really wild but has even calmed way down, will go in to the lot and eat with out trying to act like she wants to fight, Like I saw I have good luck with these off colored poor cows most of the time. The plan is most of the time to calve them and sell cow and big calf in fall. If I really like them some get to stay around for a long time but this one is going to have to get more milk or she will take a trip.
That's exactly what I'm doing with a bunch of cows right now. What I did was hold my best pasture as the receiving yard. They get wormed and go strait to knee deep grass and stay there for a week and then I pull them out and send them to whichever group they fit best with and turn around and do it again. Most of them look like different cattle within 48 hours. A couple that I bought for just over kill price have turned around so well they're going to get to stay.

this cow is looking better everyday and calf is doing real good.
I had another Brahman cross cow that had a calf this week that I bought several years ago as a one and done turn out cow but this made her 4th calf that she had while I have owned her. I had a vet look at her last year and he told me as long as she keeps going like she is he would not sell her. she didn't cost me but around 700.00 and she was another one of them ol cows that came in the ring and cleared it out but now she will follow me around like a dog for a few cattle cubes . them are the kind I make money on but I have pens to hold them till they calm down.

Looks like this is old gal is gonna make you proud. May not ever be real "purdy" but looks like she's a survivor and will raise that calf.

BRYANT":1mkn7azv said:
she didn't cost me but around 700.00 and she was another one of them ol cows that came in the ring and cleared it out but now she will follow me around like a dog for a few cattle cubes . them are the kind I make money on but I have pens to hold them till they calm down.

What percent never calm down?

What percent never calm down?[/quote]
Very few , but some better than others, most will get to where they are alright as long as you don't try to push them with out other cattle. Had a nice gray Brahman that I never was able to let out of the lot and had to sell, she was a bad cow would try to kill anyone that got close to her. I have a Brahman cow now that I don't like and keep telling my wife I am going to sell but every year I sell a nice calf off her and she will have a calf around ever 11 months. I know always work her with a group never by herself, so she stays around and if I tried to sell her she will try to wreck the sale barn and not bring anything so I just let her stay around.
I always look at their eyes if they are bugged eyed and kind of glassy eyed stay away from them.

Latest posts