turn it off before you get off. Tractor accident Liberty County Tx

Help Support CattleToday:

Shutting it off every time you get off is the "right" way, but we all know we won't do that all the time.. So you gotta settle for next best.. Set the park brake HARD, idle it right down, and if possible put both range and transmission in neutral.. Most of all, take your time mounting and dismounting. Setting implements on the ground is certainly a good idea too. If you've done that and still manage to throw it in gear, at least you have a chance it stalls rather than moves.

I've found old Masseys terribly dangerous tractors.. our 165 is a death trap, from PTO engagement that is far too easy, brake that bind, high center of gravity, etc.. sure gotta have your wits about you when running it.

Nesikep":18kcwi98 said:
I've found old Masseys terribly dangerous tractors.. our 165 is a death trap, from PTO engagement that is far too easy, brake that bind, high center of gravity, etc.. sure gotta have your wits about you when running it.

I always felt that our old MF1155 was a pretty good death trap. Probably a MF brand trait.

Any tractor without a cab is a death trap. IMO Surprised more folks do get killed on them. I've jumped off mine rotary mowing now three times, and I left it in gear and mowing. Whenever you mow over yellow jackets or hornets it's time to leave, and if you can remember or have the composure to put the tractor in neutral good for you.

I go through a gate to feed every day. Often when I go back through I will have a cow who wants to make sure I jump off to close the gate. 99% of the time I throw the tractor into neutral. The other 1% of the time I have a safety switch on the seat. I jump off with the tractor in gear and that switch kills the tractor. I think if I bought a tractor that didn't have a safety switch I would look into installing one.

True Grit Farms":13tvn7zl said:
Any tractor without a cab is a death trap. IMO Surprised more folks do get killed on them. I've jumped off mine rotary mowing now three times, and I left it in gear and mowing. Whenever you mow over yellow jackets or hornets it's time to leave, and if you can remember or have the composure to put the tractor in neutral good for you.
The first time I ran over a yellow jacket nest, I got off and ran leaving the tractor running but in neutral. That was about 40 years ago. Now when I run over one, I turn off the pto, lift the mower and take off in high gear. Usually only get a few stings. One time I was backing up mowing and cut down a sweet gum with a hornets nest hanging in it. I saw it just before it went under the mower. Just kept backing up, expecting to get swarmed the whole time, didn't get stung once. Nowadays, I scope out places real good for hornets nests before I mow them. That doesn't work of course for yellow jackets, living underground like they do. You never know where they are until you stir them up.

This morning I was picking stuff up and putting it in the bucket. Everytime I stopped I thought of this thread and made sure I set the brake and put it out of gear.

a good working parking brake is a must if the tractor has it. I don't turn off and on every gate or hooking stuff up etc... I don't like cutting diesels off and on frequently as many gates and such and times I would need to shut it off id be replacing switches and starters every couple months.

Rafter S":1z8ceoph said:
You're right, getting off with the tractor running isn't a good idea.

Back when I was younger and still bullet-proof I'd put a tractor in first gear, tie the steering wheel to something to keep it going kind of straight, step off, wait for the trailer to get there, get on it and throw off square bales, then go get back on the tractor. It makes me shudder now to think about it.

Have done the same with square and round hay that was on a spear. :hide: My Dad would do that with a pickup which had a Creeper 4-speed and 4.11 gears.

As a paramedic, I have seen this twice. Once in Wisconsin and once here in Texas. Had the one patient say his goodbyes to his family just in case when we lifted the tractor he would code and we couldn't do anything. I had a stellar team, his goodbyes we unneeded but have caused me to turn my tractor off every single time I get off.

Latest posts