Turkey Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Any turkey hunters on site??

I think the season probably starts in the southern states about now. Our season opens April 1-8 for archery/youth/disabled hunters, and then April 9-May 31 for any and all hunters.

Tried the archery season last year, but no luck. Will try again this year. Was able to take two nice gobblers with my shotgun.

I always look forward to turkey season. It usually means spring is here, grass is green, and calving is all but over. And what a thrill it is as well. Nothing like a big gobbler coming in spittin' and drummin'. Gets my heart racing every time.

A guy gets luckey sometimes and finds some good morels to go with that turkey breast :banana:

Season starts here on March 29. This is my first year to go turkey hunting so its all new to me. I plan on going out and locating some gobblers this week and hopefully opening morning I'll bag one. The limit here is 4 gobblers

sewall":1xw9ufcw said:
Season starts here on March 29. This is my first year to go turkey hunting so its all new to me. I plan on going out and locating some gobblers this week and hopefully opening morning I'll bag one. The limit here is 4 gobblers

Our limit in Kansas is 2 gobblers. I have been fortunate to take two the last several years, but that is a tremendous challenge some years. I don't think I could take 4 legally. I know there are a lot of Rios in Texas, so you must have a higher turkey density.

If you are new to turkey hunting, you might check out http://www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com if you haven't already. They have a forumn you can sign up on with oodles of information about turkey hunting. Much like this site is for raising cattle.

Thanks for the link bandit!

MORE ragging from the wife about my lazy butt sitting at the computer! :lol: :lol:

About a month to wait for opening. Then my lazy butt will be in the turkey woods :D

ALX.":2tnnhrdm said:
Thanks for the link bandit!

MORE ragging from the wife about my lazy butt sitting at the computer! :lol: :lol:

About a month to wait for opening. Then my lazy butt will be in the turkey woods :D

I don't post over there often, but I have the same screen name. Look hard enough and you can see a picture of me in there with one of last year's gobblers. :p

Doesn't get much better than good ole Osceola County, Florida. (For Osceola gobblers of course) Seen a many a good one come off the ranch so far.

I'm ready, actually chomping at the bit a little. I plan on hunting the local population this year (AL & TN) as opposed to traveling. I have hunted in NM the last three years, and I am actually looking forward to staying at home this year.

I hope everyone has a great season.

Trey

Season comes in Saturday. Haven't decided where to go yet. Been seeing a bunch of birds. Watched a small flock Tuesday strutting and carrying on in the back pasture. Pretty birds.

Here's some of our young gobblers.

turk1.jpg

bandit80":7fk25mzw said:
flaboy":7fk25mzw said:
Here's some of our young gobblers.

Are those wild? Purty good picture if you were that close to wild birds.

Yep, they are wild. I feed them year round and they aren't scared of me. It's the trophy hunters that come down they don't like. I tried to find a picture I have of a group of five with 8 inch beards. Couldn't locate it.

flaboy":1xe0t4eq said:
Yep, they are wild. I feed them year round and they aren't scared of me. It's the trophy hunters that come down they don't like. I tried to find a picture I have of a group of five with 8 inch beards. Couldn't locate it.

Good picture. I keep watching a group of 11 gobblers every morning on my way to work. They haven't split up yet, just waiting to try and stick one on the April 1 archery opener.

bandit80":39vkwi56 said:
flaboy":39vkwi56 said:

Good picture. I keep watching a group of 11 gobblers every morning on my way to work. They haven't split up yet, just waiting to try and stick one on the April 1 archery opener.

The guide is bringing in a lady Saturday morning. She came two years ago but didn't kill anything. I assume she calls them. I don't know. I don't pay much attention to what they are doing. I just wait for the guide to come up with the payment.

Man I can't wait for season to come in here. Ain't nothing compares to a big ol gobbler coming up to about 5-10 yards and struttin, gobblin. That's about the best in my book other than my daughter being born. By the way wife went into labor last year while I was about mile or so away from truck chasin two big gobblers. Finally decided I wasn't crazy and heard someone yellin for me. Knew it was happening and was about dead from running back to truck so fast, left everything but my gun in the woods till later. Few hours later and our first was born. That's pretty awesome to in my book. 11 gobblers in one group and 8 in another I been seeing on regular basis here to. Got pics just can't remeber how to get them on here.

Well, the tourists showed up and shot two so far. Got enough money to keep the turkeys fed for another year ;-)

That's good!! Some day, I would like to get down to Florida for an Oscelola hunt, and then up to the Dakotas for a Merriam's hunt. Have taken an Eastern and true Rio Grande in Kansas. Wouldn't mind going to Texas for a Rio Grande hunt either.

Some day when family and job will allow that to happen.

Latest posts