Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz":2lcs1c5l said:
I must be the only person here not using any type of supplement. Hope my cows don't read this, they might revolt.

i've never put out a lick tub either. don't care for them.

HDRider":11x84rlz said:
TexasBred":11x84rlz said:
Double post
Maybe you said TB, do you use tubs? If so, what kind and why?
Never have HD. Just too expensive. Tried Mix 30 a few years ago. It was ok but never used it again. I still use range cubes. Like to put them out then walk through the cows and check them out. Right now a good 20% all natural protein cube down this way is about $7.15 a bag if you contracted them back in the fall.

cfpinz":pwghizrk said:
I must be the only person here not using any type of supplement. Hope my cows don't read this, they might revolt.
If you have high quality hay and/or grazing no need to supplement. We don't have it down here so supplementation is beneficial.

We put out a few mineral tubs and had to put them in a used truck tire. Seemed to stop the bull's antics!!! 11-22.5 seemed to work very well. Oh, that was 250# tubs

TexasBred":3nwes30a said:
aaroninga":3nwes30a said:
Guess I'm lucky to get 200# tubs for $49, 3 miles up the road.
Right now my heard is going probably 7-800 yards to the creek for water. Don't seem they over do it on tubs or mineral.
Always have hay out and supplement with 14# protein feed while they're nursing too.
Those would not be the good cooked tubs. You won't find them for $50 unless it's a 125# tub. Consumption is probably 3-4 lbs. per head per day as well. Any less on that type tub means they are not very palatable and the cattle just don't like the taste. Use to be a lot of those around.
Not seeing the tub that aaron is buying but I would have to say that they are the good cooked tubs since that is what I'm buying and we're in the same area in NE Ga. The one's I buy are made by Godfrey's feed - 24% protein and I think are 225 lbs but may just be 200 lbs. Godfrey's is top line producer of livestock feed here in Ga. Local feed store had these on sale back in early fall for $42 and we bought several. I would think that if you're paying $100 bucks for a tub, then it must be a mineral tub and not just a protein tub. Friend pays $140 for a Purina mineral tub and swears by them. I can't go that route in my operation.

TennesseeTuxedo":1vcjumes said:
cfpinz":1vcjumes said:

No loose minerals?

Good catch. They get free choice of loose mineral.

cfpinz":16kplpfw said:
TennesseeTuxedo":16kplpfw said:
cfpinz":16kplpfw said:

No loose minerals?

Good catch. They get free choice of loose mineral.

Well then with quality hay I think you're fine.

kilroy60":2l6o8p8x said:
TexasBred":2l6o8p8x said:
aaroninga":2l6o8p8x said:
Right now my heard is going probably 7-800 yards to the creek for water. Don't seem they over do it on tubs or mineral.
Always have hay out and supplement with 14# protein feed while they're nursing too.
Those would not be the good cooked tubs. You won't find them for $50 unless it's a 125# tub. Consumption is probably 3-4 lbs. per head per day as well. Any less on that type tub means they are not very palatable and the cattle just don't like the taste. Use to be a lot of those around.
Not seeing the tub that aaron is buying but I would have to say that they are the good cooked tubs since that is what I'm buying and we're in the same area in NE Ga. The one's I buy are made by Godfrey's feed - 24% protein and I think are 225 lbs but may just be 200 lbs. Godfrey's is top line producer of livestock feed here in Ga. Local feed store had these on sale back in early fall for $42 and we bought several. I would think that if you're paying $100 bucks for a tub, then it must be a mineral tub and not just a protein tub. Friend pays $140 for a Purina mineral tub and swears by them. I can't go that route in my operation.

Yes Kilroy
The tubs I'm talking about are Godfreys also and figured they are poured. I like their feed too but too expensive by the sack.
I buy by the ton from Floyd Farms right out of Royston.
.12 cents a pound, $240 a ton.

kilroy60":31oviqft said:
TexasBred":31oviqft said:
aaroninga":31oviqft said:
You guys are lucky. I haven't seen a $40 tub down here in 7 or 8 years when eveybody use to sell the old soft poured tubs. Almost any cooked tub will run you over $80 for a 200 lb. tub regardless of who makes it and that's for a protein tub. Mineral tubs cost about the same.

TexasBred":3gg1n7m8 said:
cfpinz":3gg1n7m8 said:
If you have high quality hay and/or grazing no need to supplement. We don't have it down here so supplementation is beneficial.
No extra here. 3 year old hay tested ~10%. Didn't plant winter pasture this year so I am putting out hay but winter pasture grasses are available, just not a lot of it. Cows seem to be doing fine so far.

1982vett":1u1a5tud said:
No extra here. 3 year old hay tested ~10%. Didn't plant winter pasture this year so I am putting out hay but winter pasture grasses are available, just not a lot of it. Cows seem to be doing fine so far.

Do they really need a supplement in Texas? Or anywhere the weather is mild in the winter? Are they dry cows? Sure seems like 10% hay on dry cows during a Texas winter should be doable....

1982vett":1ylhpm3x said:
TexasBred":1ylhpm3x said:
cfpinz":1ylhpm3x said:
That's all you need especially if they are not nursing a calf. Most hay out here seldom goes as high as 10% and not highly digestible.

angus9259":3lkq0xl4 said:
1982vett":3lkq0xl4 said:

Do they really need a supplement in Texas? Or anywhere the weather is mild in the winter? Are they dry cows? Sure seems like 10% hay on dry cows during a Texas winter should be doable....
It normally is :Angus but even 10% is not guaranteed. Depends on fertilizer and time of cutting. A lot of hay does not get cut when it is at it's prime so doesn't have nearly the feed value cows need. And some purposely put off cutting hay in order to make more hay even though it is lesser quality. And some of us like me just like well conditioned cows, not cattle working like he// just to hold their own. BTW our chill factor today has been around 0 to 5 degrees and although it won't last long it certainly requires more feed and doesn't hurt for it to have a bit of supplementation of high quality digestible protein.

Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, most minerals are not self limiting, and thus unless the tubs have a lot of salt (which is one of the few self limiting things out there), they'll eat as much as they please.

I got a 250 lb tub for my 4 heifer calves in November.. they just about finished it already! I'll say they aren't getting another one!.. I think it's good for them when they come off the cow and to get them used to eating hay and a bit of a boost when it's cold out, but I'll only do it for calves. I want to give my future cows the best start I can, after that they're on their own

TexasBred":2d625l3j said:
. BTW our chill factor today has been around 0 to 5 degrees and although it won't last long it certainly requires more feed and doesn't hurt for it to have a bit of supplementation of high quality digestible protein.
It drizzled all morning, then sleeted a little then snowed for about 5 minutes here today. I feel sorry for them in weather like this, but know it's way worse other places, but mine don't ever seem to have a thick hair coat like I see pics of from up North.
It's 26.1F right now and will be 24F from 2am till 9am. Be back up in the 70s by Tuesday tho.

Nesikep":3ggkh5dq said:
Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, most minerals are not self limiting, and thus unless the tubs have a lot of salt (which is one of the few self limiting things out there), they'll eat as much as they please.

I got a 250 lb tub for my 4 heifer calves in November.. they just about finished it already! I'll say they aren't getting another one!.. I think it's good for them when they come off the cow and to get them used to eating hay and a bit of a boost when it's cold out, but I'll only do it for calves. I want to give my future cows the best start I can, after that they're on their own
Cooked tubs are self limiting in that only about a quarter inch of the tub gets soft enough at any one time for the cow to easily consume it. Then they have to wait a couple of hours for the humidity to soften another quarter inch or so. The old poured tubs could be easily scooped out and consumed heavily by cattle.

TexasBred":2i2du2kf said:
angus9259":2i2du2kf said:
1982vett":2i2du2kf said:

It normally is :Angus but even 10% is not guaranteed. Depends on fertilizer and time of cutting. A lot of hay does not get cut when it is at it's prime so doesn't have nearly the feed value cows need. And some purposely put off cutting hay in order to make more hay even though it is lesser quality. And some of us like me just like well conditioned cows, not cattle working like he// just to hold their own. BTW our chill factor today has been around 0 to 5 degrees and although it won't last long it certainly requires more feed and doesn't hurt for it to have a bit of supplementation of high quality digestible protein.
What Texas bred said....also depends on your stocking rate. If you push your pastures hard it can get difficult to have enough winter grass growth to meet your needs.

1982vett":36wsqp1e said:
What Texas bred said....also depends on your stocking rate. If you push your pastures hard it can get difficult to have enough winter grass growth to meet your needs.
Or if you don;t get any fall rain. That's the boat we are in now. Not really a drought but haven;'t had enough rain to make the grass grow at all. We started feeding hay already and we usually don;t start that till very late feb or early/mid march.

Brute 23":iuoltwge said:
I want to be clear that we feed tubs to prevent from feeding hay, .

Interesting. Wasn't sure that was possible - unless you are saying you have enough stockpiled forage on the ground? I always thought the tubs just helped maximize the value of poor quality forage. In fact, it was my understanding that the tubs we are talking about here actually may INCREASE the rate of forage consumption.

Latest posts