Tubing calf

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
Had a calf born two days ago. Didn't see him nurse at all and momma never really sprung up prior to calving. She looks like she is slowly coming along but her udders don't look like they have been touched. Yesterday calf seemed lethargic and had scours bad. Tried electrolytes in a bottle but it had no sucking reflex so I tubed him and once again this morning with electrolytes. Am going to try a little milk replacer tonight. How long do you think it'll take for him to come around because tubing him can't be good for him. All replies appreciated.

Milk the cow if you can and tube the milk into the calf...NOW!

Yes, he needs electrolytes since he's scouring, but he also needs nutrition. Electrolytes alone will not provide that.

Calves are starved to death when they are taken off milk for scours.

Alice

Alice":3pi9h8ej said:
Milk the cow if you can and tube the milk into the calf...NOW!

Yes, he needs electrolytes since he's scouring, but he also needs nutrition. Electrolytes alone will not provide that.

Calves are starved to death when they are taken off milk for scours.

Alice

Ditto
Don't worry about tubeing, they learn to like it eventually.
You might try some antibiotics and vitamins.

Agree with Alice.
Did the calf get colostrum? If not i know its late but there some research done that says they can still absorb some colostrum up to 36 hrs. after birth especially if hey have not had any milk yet. Can't give you the details of the research or where, just got the info from a livestock tech at the ag office.
As well, predef can be administered to the calf to help keep the swelling caused by tubing down.

I agree with the rest. Nothing beats the cows milk and you will see improvement when it gets her milk if it hasnt been too long without colostrum.