Trying Pearl Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

TGF Looks good but I see no listing for it in Virginia that may be why everyone uses the same thing. I am going to search the net and see what I find

tdc_cattle":3eagrdg6 said:
Have any of you that have used it in the past tried Sudan? How do they compare?

If you're talking about sorghum Sudan grass then it's a lot like millet. Very good gazing and like millet its drought tolerant. With sorghum Sudan you have to watch for Prussic acid poisioning. With millet, all you have to watch for is nitrate poisioning. And of course chink bugs if you have them.

JMJ Farms":1lxbgyyy said:
tdc_cattle":1lxbgyyy said:

If you're talking about sorghum Sudan grass then it's a lot like millet. Very good gazing and like millet its drought tolerant. With sorghum Sudan you have to watch for Prussic acid poisioning. With millet, all you have to watch for is nitrate poisioning. And of course chink bugs if you have them.
what do you do to prevent or treat prussic poisoning what about nitrate

JMJ Farms":3b63yg6a said:
tdc_cattle":3b63yg6a said:

That's what I'm talking about. Used Sudan but thought I might prefer millet because of the prussic acid positioning issues.

We've used both and had good results with both. This year though I opted for just
Sorghum sudan . we call it haygrazer. Its produced much more for us. Especially. After the first grazing. And the seed is much cheaper.
You do have manage for purassic acid. Like jmj pointed out, that's not a problem with millet

callmefence":26njp8gc said:
We've used both and had good results with both. This year though I opted for just
Sorghum sudan . we call it haygrazer. Its produced much more for us. Especially. After the first grazing. And the seed is much cheaper.
You do have manage for purassic acid. Like jmj pointed out, that's not a problem with millet
You ain't going to be the first but I think haygrazer , Sudan grass and Sorgum Sudan are 3 different crops. Might be the lingo but I've seen all 3 "plants"

Kingfisher":2jlh4lm6 said:
callmefence":2jlh4lm6 said:
You ain't going to be the first but I think haygrazer , Sudan grass and Sorgum Sudan are 3 different crops. Might be the lingo but I've seen all 3 "plants"

I'd say sorghumx Sudan ,haygrazer, and Suddex the same . Many different strains but all Sudan x sorghum hybrids.
Sudan different, a pure strain.
Also sorghum almum , sorghum x Johnson grass. A hybrid that reseeds

I'm trying the leafy 22 pearl millet this year and my dad trying the newer improved sorghum sudan hybrid bmr type with smaller stem and increased drying time

I'm planting the sorghum Sudan this year .. wanted pearl millet but I can buy 3 bags of sorghum to 1 bag of pearl ..

JSCATTLE":pctjuv17 said:
I'm planting the sorghum Sudan this year .. wanted pearl millet but I can buy 3 bags of sorghum to 1 bag of pearl ..

I am going to graze mine so I wouldn't use the sorghum sudan because of the prussic acid issue.

After reading about the purassic acid issue, I'm wondering if this is like most things that get blown out of proportion or is it that hard to manage ? I've heard people say don't let cows eat Johnson grass but I've never had a problem with it .. I might just buy some pearl and feed this to the doves .. the variety I ended up with is sorgum sudan variety lucky SU .

I brought the sudan sorgum back about bought pearl millet .. I don't want the cows getting in it too soon .. can't afford to lose any ..

JSCATTLE":gd4ia29d said:
I brought the sudan sorgum back about bought pearl millet .. I don't want the cows getting in it too soon .. can't afford to lose any ..

I think that was a good thing to do. :)

I've got two head of cattle, intend to plant one acre of pearl and one acre of SS. Gonna need to broadcast it. I will use a hot wire to make them eat when and where I want.

Latest posts