Trying Pearl Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

finally able to get some planted and got a good rain on it.

IMG_20160703_104637615_zpsh4qw6zh3.jpg

IMG_20160702_075311494_zpsaura6fmt.jpg

skyhightree1":1p9iwbtg said:
finally able to get some planted and got a good rain on it.

IMG_20160703_104637615_zpsh4qw6zh3.jpg

IMG_20160702_075311494_zpsaura6fmt.jpg

Did you work/disk up your ground then sow or drill?

Pearl Millet was a bust we had so much rain that the grass took it over and not much came up but whats up they like it.

IMG_20160807_171914548_zpsdwt20mqp.jpg

IMG_20160807_193028040_zpsjf6x9njo.jpg

IMG_20160807_192932943_zpsdqubzebo.jpg

I let mine get chest high on me before I graze it....I have a couple of strips that are over my head now and the horses will get them later this week....

this photo is from one of my producers grazing operation....
mixed warm season species...he grazes it in strips....
pictured is yesterdays strip and todays strip.

Nice .. I honestly expected that because that area is almost like the beach its so full of sand... We had raised bumper crops of peanuts on that piece so turning it into a pasture was/is a challenge.

pdfangus":271x18yy said:
another shot from Swallow Hill Farm
about thirty acres of several warm season mixes...some for hay and some for grazing.

Looks good. How did you plant? Kill existing grasses or graze it down, disk, no-till?

it is not mine...it is one of my producers...the land was in cash grain for years until the wheat came off last summer....it was then planted to summer annuals for grazing and haying and then to cool season annuals for grazing and then again to summer annuals for grazing...

everything was planted no till.

he has applied some herbicides to address a few weed problems...I would not have used herbicide...and this spring he had some herbicide issues from incomplete clean out of the custom applicators tank...first couple of passes the cover was severely stunted due to herbicide residual but I don't know what the residual was from...

The two of them are currently negotiating on the effects.

the advantage of intensive rotational grazing is normally the livestock will handle weed problems...my weed problems at home where I move stock at least every four days are under the electric fences...my current strategy is every time I bushog a lot I also take a mower and mow under the fences...cows will eat grass under the fences but if you do not maintain them then pokeberry and multiflora rose and blackberry come in and will kill the fence. I only spray if I feel It has gotten beyond me...I have not purchased any input for seven or eight years and this year (abnormally wet year) the calves and the horses cannot keep up with the grass.

just posted a blog post over the weekend with some photos from home.

http://www.pdfangus.com

Latest posts