Try to save the calf or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_telly_369

Reaction score
We have an older cow who is down. She's been down since yesterday. She tries to get up, head butts people, and also has hip problems. She was with a bull July 15th, 2006-November 1st, 2006. She tested pregnant on October 1st via blood test. She still eats and drinks. We know we're going to have to put her down, but we would appreciate opinions on whether or not to try to save the calf. We're more than willing to bottle feed the calf if we can save it.

As of today, assuming she settled on July 15th, you're looking at a 7 1/2 month calf - normal gestation is a little over 9 months. I would not attempt to save the calf at that stage of gestation. It's hard enough trying to keep a calf alive that is a couple of weeks premature, let alone a month and a half. Too many things are not developed enough to make it viable.

msscamp":11sdl6fo said:
As of today, assuming she settled on July 15th, you're looking at a 7 1/2 month calf - normal gestation is a little over 9 months. I would not attempt to save the calf at that stage of gestation. It's hard enough trying to keep a calf alive that is a couple of weeks premature, let alone a month and a half. Too many things are not developed enough to make it viable.
MSSCAMP is right. If the calf is not almost full term it would be a big battle to save it. I guess I didn't do the math,sorry.

Yeah, boy it would be tough trying to save the calf. Looking at lots of work with a slim chance. But if you have the time and patients go for it.

can you keep the cow alive for a few more weeks?? it sounds like she been a good cow for a longtime, i'd sure give it shot if it were me.

TNfamilyfarm":5c67egpi said:
can you keep the cow alive for a few more weeks?? it sounds like she been a good cow for a longtime, i'd sure give it shot if it were me.

That was my thought. And thats if you have the time to mess with the cow. You would have to turn her a couple of times a day. Keep fresh water and feed near her at all times. It would be possible to have a healthy calf. But it would take a lot of time and work.
Good luck.

Wouldn't 4-6 weeks be an awful long time for a down cow to survive even if she was feeding and drinking? Seems there would be a multitude of complications.

If your sure you can't get the cow back up, then things look bad.

http://osu.okstate.edu/index.php?option ... &Itemid=90

Look at this article. They did save the calf, but they were highly skilled folks, lots of money and the calf was two week further along at the minimum.

Or at the risk of sounding cynical, here's your other options.

Pick the cow up with straps, pour lots of expensive fluids and feed in her. When that doesn't work, take her to one of those places that float them in water, spend another fortune there. When that doesn't work, take the calf by c section, and put the cow down. Put the calf on IV's and oxygen, spend another fortune. Maybe it will survive, maybe it won't (it won't). When your done, figure the cost and you will have spent all you could make off this one and ten more at the very least.

I'm sorry for your loss, but you know what you need to do.

Update~
We moved her last night, she's now closer and we are able to keep a closer eye on her. We're keeping her in the trailer, as there's no other warmer place to keep her. As of right now, she's doing okay, she's still eating a lot and drinks water, but still can't stand.

cowgirl_telly_369":1773utlm said:
Update~
We moved her last night, she's now closer and we are able to keep a closer eye on her. We're keeping her in the trailer, as there's no other warmer place to keep her. As of right now, she's doing okay, she's still eating a lot and drinks water, but still can't stand.

How did you get her in the trailer...maybe I missed something here. If I did, I apologize.

Alice

We had a similair problem a few years back. Cow went down a few days before calving and had to do what you are doing now. The cow had the calf and we bottle fed the calf. The calf became more like a dog than a calf. We still work on the cow, keep pushing calcium, minerals, feed and water down her. About a month she got up on her own and the calf actually starting nursing the cow and "weaned" himself off the bottle. I have never seen or heard about others having the same results, but I would not give up hope if the cow is still trying to live and get up. I would do everything you could to keep predators away and any kind of shelter or wind block you could provide.

Matt Schiel

Alice":2pptob98 said:
cowgirl_telly_369":2pptob98 said:
Update~

How did you get her in the trailer...maybe I missed something here. If I did, I apologize.

Alice

The guys got her onto some metal yesterday, they got her from the back of the pasture to the front, and used a winch connected to the metal to pull her up a ramp, into the trailer.

little off topic but one time we went to go buy donkeys they wouldnt load up so we took a rope and wrapped it around the front of the donkeys legs and hooked them to a reciver hitch and pulled her in

cowgirl_telly_369":24ku2khk said:
Update~

good luck maybe things will change again. this time for the good.

Latest posts