Triplets

Help Support CattleToday:

Visit to mom went well . Cow didn't really acknowledge them but didn't kick or butt them either . Put her in the chute and with a little direction both calves nursed till they walked away . Heifer calf acted like she got all she wanted. Cow is really laid back so I wasn't surprised by her reaction. Brought them back home because of the cold . Will repeat for a couple of days and then leave them in the corral with her . Think they will be active enough to nurse on their own . Cow still hasn't cleaned off .

Cow still hasn't cleaned off .
I wouldn't worry about it unless she starts to smell. And then it's time for antibiotics. Don't go dumpster diving. Like your old vet recommending antibiotics right off the bat, my old vet used to tell us to clean 'em out, which is not recommended any more.

You're doing great!!!

Visit to mom went well . Cow didn't really acknowledge them but didn't kick or butt them either . Put her in the chute and with a little direction both calves nursed till they walked away . Heifer calf acted like she got all she wanted. Cow is really laid back so I wasn't surprised by her reaction. Brought them back home because of the cold . Will repeat for a couple of days and then leave them in the corral with her . Think they will be active enough to nurse on their own . Cow still hasn't cleaned off .
Sounds like you have a great handle on this. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Yep, thats where they need to be. Good job.
Back in the low 20's tonight so we brought them back to the house . Will go back in the morning. Cow actually paid a little attention to them when I loaded them up . Slow process but I think we're getting there . They didn't nurse a lot with mom . Not sure if I fed them too well this morning . Concentrating on quality not quantity. Letting them tell me when they're satisfied.

I've gradually increase from a pint to a pint and a half . Plan on going back to just a pint in the morning . I'll let them tell me tonight , but no more than a pint 1/2 . Thanks for the advice !

Not a good day. The bull calf of the triplets is down. Not eating and will stand and them lays back down. Text the Vet but not avaliable. My cowboy friends said it could be anything. Does not seem bloated just fat. Have no idea what to do. Laying on clean hay.

Back in the low 20's tonight so we brought them back to the house . Will go back in the morning. Cow actually paid a little attention to them when I loaded them up . Slow process but I think we're getting there . They didn't nurse a lot with mom . Not sure if I fed them too well this morning . Concentrating on quality not quantity. Letting them tell me when they're satisfied.
I assume you are talking degrees F. So that is about -6 degrees C. That is nice calving weather up here, provided no wind chill and nice straw pack. I know your cows are not used to that and that is likely cold for you all and these little ones but I chuckled. It is balmy here above 0. Hard to believe we can be warmer than you.😊☀️

I assume you are talking degrees F. So that is about -6 degrees C. That is nice calving weather up here, provided no wind chill and nice straw pack. I know your cows are not used to that and that is likely cold for you all and these little ones but I chuckled. It is balmy here above 0. Hard to believe we can be warmer than you.😊☀️
Yes it's a wet type cold with the wind chill it's even colder of course. We have 10-12 calves on the ground and I haven't worried about them . If these were full size calves I wouldn't worry , but these guys are little. Bull calf just didn't get off to the best start and I'll be surprised if we save him . Heifer I think probably nursed and got momma's colostrum. Bull no , and we got the store bought colostrum down him as quick as we could . But he just don't have the same spunk as sis .

Yes it's a wet type cold with the wind chill it's even colder of course. We have 10-12 calves on the ground and I haven't worried about them . If these were full size calves I wouldn't worry , but these guys are little. Bull calf just didn't get off to the best start and I'll be surprised if we save him . Heifer I think probably nursed and got momma's colostrum. Bull no , and we got the store bought colostrum down him as quick as we could . But he just don't have the same spunk as sis .
Been my experience a twin bull is almost always a bit of a dummy for a few days.
Keep after it!
Its good for ya... 🙂

Been my experience a twin bull is almost always a bit of a dummy for a few days.
Keep after it!
Its good for ya... 🙂
I've had a couple sets of mixed twins and the bull calf is always the one left laying in the corner of the pasture and the freemartin heifer never lets the cow get more than 10 feet away.

Not a good day. The bull calf of the triplets is down. Not eating and will stand and them lays back down. Text the Vet but not avaliable. My cowboy friends said it could be anything. Does not seem bloated

Latest posts